1988 Stumpjumper Epic (former Cindy Whitehead Frame)

Re:

Thanks for the kind words gents :D .

It's been fun doing the research and the build has kind of been secondary to that until now but looking forward to getting it finished and ridden now. I'll get some better pic's up when I can, should have everything early next week to complete it (bar the seatpost I think).

Re: Re:

DynaCol":3ci0oly8 said:
Nah shouldn't be waiting too long for the rest of the bits, next couple of weeks and it should be done. I've pretty much got everything I was after but a pair of Ground Control's or Hardpack's would be nice to finish it off but I'll keep an eye out for them, no rush really.

Sounds good to me mate and those tyres are well hard to find these days but will be well worth the wait so if i come across any being sold in the mean time i will let you know ;) ..

Re: 1989 Stumpjumper Epic (former Cindy Whitehead Frame)

Nice bike :cool:

So, you've found a fork for this frame :D
Very nice build so far!

Cheers,
Will

Re:

Oh yeah, meant to say that I'd found a fork (thanks to Raidan73 for bringing it to my attention). It's not exactly what I was after as it has the round canti studs rather than the square ones but probably being too picky lol. The fork came from a 90/91 epic so at least it's from the right model and it's black so doesn't need painting!

Re:

"Is this not finished yet!" I hear you cry :LOL:
A new job and various other commitments have kinda got in the way of finishing this one off but got the Tour on the telly for some inspiration and the remaining bits gathered ready for fitting so won't be long now.
The original Specialized bottom bracket was trashed so have eventually found a NOS axle and cup set so will be fitting them today.

Attachments

• Final bits.jpg
    Final bits.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 556

I don't know how the Tour on telly inspires you to build mountain bikes. :?:
It inspires me to storm up mountain passes and fly down the other side at 90kmh!

Well, OK. Maybe not so much. :oops:

Aside from that, we are looking for a venue for a show and shine meet and perusing your signature once you have your girls bike finished I think it should be at your house! :LOL:

Congratulations on your new job mate :cool: ..

Yes i find watching the tour helps get me all hyped up and ready to get on with bike tinkering or cycling ;) but any how nice little selection of bits that you have their mate and glad to see the old toe clips are in favour too as i think their much more retro looking than spuds tbh and yes it's annoying how other things tend to crop up and push in the way of doing more important bike tinkering and i didn't think the bb needed replacing but obviously i got that wrong :facepalm: but any way i'm glad to see you've got that issue in hand now and looking forward to seeing further progress after what seems an eternity since the last update but fingers crossed theirs no more set backs on the horizon ..

Re:

Yeah the Tour was just general cycling inspiration and to be fair it was a mountain stage and at the end it looked like they were riding up a river, so kinda offroad :LOL: .

The bottom bracket was goosed, lots of pitting plus tried fitting it with new bearings but it was somewhat notchy!

Fitted the new bottom bracket and not entirely happy with the fit, I think the frame threads are a bit damaged as the cups are a bit looser than i'd like. Plus the drive side is sitting a bit skewiff when fully tightened (perhaps the BB shell needs faced). Think I'll need to keep an eye on this one when riding, not that it'll be ridden a lot or very hard so hopefully will be ok. If it does completely strip then I'll look at my options then (e.g. getting it sleeved, if that's possible on a bonded frame like this??).

Yes the tour was some what off roadish with all that rain and battling up hill alot in the mountains :cool: which i have to say i found rather exciting :LOL: .

Oh dear! i thought the bottom bracket was going to be okay but hey ho! i suppose it's one of those things mate and yes i've been down that road before where i've changed the old bearings for new only to find out the bearing cups are far worse than they appear to be :( .

Yes it seems to me that the thread maybe a bit worn on the bottom bracket although i have known taking a wire brush around the thread to help matters and screwing the none drive side cup in sometimes is easier and helps straighten the the threads out a bit before re trying the drive side mate plus if you've got a bit of ptfe tape then a single wrap around the drive side cup might just improve the fit plus i'd tidy off the face of the bottom bracket shell to ensure a flush fit ..

I'm not sure about sleeving the bottom bracket shell so i'd ask at your lbs for advice if it comes to it mate as he may just have another solution to the problem..

Back