Specialized Stumpjumper Epic 1989 carbon - restauration

OMAKIPJE

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone,

New to the Forum!

I am from Apeldoorn (Netherlands) 29 years Specialized enthusiast.
In addition to the new models in my collection, I like to collect and hobby with the old retro/vintage models from Specialized.

The Retro projects that I have completed and own:

Specialized Seqouia 1993 (“neo-retro” 11 speed - gravel mod)
Specialized 1993 stumpjumper ("neo-retro" 10 speed - steel - pink/black)
Specialized 1993 Allez Pro ("nearly factory new" Steel - silver shimano 600)
Specialized Allez Epic 1989 ("nearly factory new" Carbon - shimano 600)

Last weekend I bought a Stumpjumper Epic 1989 carbon for 135 euros.

Besides the saddle, tires and grips, the bike seems to be original.

The bike is in a pretty bad condition. (lots of rust on lugs and cable mounts) I'm thinking about repainting the frame and adding new decals. What do you guys think?

I already saw a website that sells them. But I don't see the Stumpjumper Epic decals there.

[https://velocals.com/specialized/](https://velocals.com/specialized/)

Do you guys have good experiences with decals from this site or do you have tips for having these decals made? I want to make sure I can get the decals before I take the step to repaint the frame.

I also will polish and regreasing all original existing parts.

Do you have any tips for parts to make it more original such as a saddle, tires and grips?

IMG_7923.jpg IMG_7938.jpg IMG_7937.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_7932.jpg IMG_7929.jpg IMG_7926.jpg IMG_7924.jpg

Last edited:
In my town there is a Specialized Concept Store called: Stappenbelt Specialized Concept Store, that is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. The bike's are also from around 30 years back...

My Allez epic 1989 matches nicely to my new Stumpjumper epic 1989! :)

Specialized only store in Apeldoorn (Netherlands).

You can see an exhibition of part of my retro Specialized collection. Enjoyed sharing with you.

The store ships worldwide. So for Europe only articles. Might be nice to score something unique. That is not available in your country.

IMG_7145.jpg IMG_7144.jpg IMG_7116.jpg IMG_7098.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool and rare score you made there! Was it a marktplaats special?
Thanks! Yes bought it on Marktplaats.

I can not find much information about this model. Nothing in the catalogue's… saw some information on this forum that this model was only available on special request?

If somebody has tips for nice parts or frame decals let me know! :)

Nice find, and a large frame to boot. I'm also into Specialized, have quite a few. My favourite, a '95 Epic Comp carbon road bike, was stolen some years ago.

Nice find, and a large frame to boot. I'm also into Specialized, have quite a few. My favourite, a '95 Epic Comp carbon road bike, was stolen some years ago.
a cool!!

Yes i am 194cm tall so am looking for the bigger sizes haha.

Nice to see some more specialized collectors.

Ref your query about velocals, I've used them several times and they are very helpful. Willing to work up specific decals from your photo's if needed too (custom fees apply).

Back