1988 Stumpjumper Epic (former Cindy Whitehead Frame)

DynaCol":3iakarnm said:
Muddy paw":3iakarnm said:
Well worth waiting for and i couldn't agree more about keeping the patina so how does it ride ? ..
I've not had a chance to take it out for a ride yet, got a few days off work now though so should be soon.

Well i'll just have to wait a while longer for the ride update
and fingers crossed the weather will stay fine for you ..

PaintedDesert":3iakarnm said:
This is a brilliant story, major kudos!

DynaCol":3iakarnm said:
If you navigate the virtual tour of the shop towards the 1990 World Championship banner at the end the bike is hanging on the wall to the right, along with a few of his other race bikes :cool:

For your convenience, Ned Overend's bike:

Mm now that's just awesome

Impressive resto! I can't believe I had that frame in my hands and sent it away not knowing it's provenance.

rumpfy":2h40lwv4 said:
Impressive resto! I can't believe I had that frame in my hands and sent it away not knowing it's provenance.
Thanks very much, I think it's passed through a few hands without folk knowing what it was (lucky for me I suppose).

kingbling":2h40lwv4 said:
good weather coming your way sat & sun
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view point :LOL: ) a stag do to attend this weekend will prevent me getting out on the bike. Should be off work most of next week though so plenty time to get out on this and the newly configured Yates.

Re:

Wasn't completely happy with the way this one was finished and wanted it to be as period correct as it can be so been slowly gathering 88 M730 bits to get it how I really want it. Fellow MacRetro member Boxxer came up trumps by selling me a pair of yellow label Hardpack tyres a while back too, cheers mate.
Until I can get the bike outside, here's a couple of pics of it wearing it's new bits. I tried running it with the 7 spd cassette but couldn't get the indexing working right so have fitted a 6 spd uniglide cassette and everything is working flawlessly now and looks better too :cool: .

Attachments

• P1050654.jpg
    P1050654.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 520
  • P1050653.jpg
    P1050653.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 519
  • P1050652.jpg
    P1050652.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 518
  • P1050650.jpg
    P1050650.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 520
  • P1050649.jpg
    P1050649.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 520
Lovely Col, great score on the tyres :cool:

Re:

A really cool bike, and very well judged restoration. Nice work.

(Getting all misty eyed for 1988 now ....)

Re:

Thanks guys, I'm pretty pleased with the bike as it is now too. It's as close to original spec as I could get it based on the various pics I've found when Cindy was riding it. The front canti's and rear hub are M732 but I'm not going to get too hung up on that. Hopefully the weather will clear up soon so I can take it out along the canal for some better pics, will update the thread as soon as that happens.

Latest posts

Back