1985 overburys cross fell finished.

Re: Re:

videojetman":1a1swre1 said:
Good news, these turned up today. :D
Bad news, the guy at the bike shop can't build my wheels til new year.
Think it's time to have a go at building my wheels.

Time to find another bike shop, wheels should take about 20mins to build, ten mins to true, that for 2 wheels is an hour.
We have an IHC guy named Gunpat with hand difficulties who can still assemble a wheel with a half hour.

Take a pic of the new rim against wheel for us? You may need slightly shorter spokes for the new build, see if the LBS could do a spoke calculation for you with the new rim, alternatively get some better quality rims that resemble the originals, those wide profile rims are still pretty strong if trued right.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Bicycle Addict":2itovdbg said:
videojetman":2itovdbg said:
Good news, these turned up today. :D
Bad news, the guy at the bike shop can't build my wheels til new year.
Think it's time to have a go at building my wheels.

Time to find another bike shop, wheels should take about 20mins to build, ten mins to true, that for 2 wheels is an hour.
We have an IHC guy named Gunpat with hand difficulties who can still assemble a wheel with a half hour.

Take a pic of the new rim against wheel for us? You may need slightly shorter spokes for the new build, see if the LBS could do a spoke calculation for you with the new rim, alternatively get some better quality rims that resemble the originals, those wide profile rims are still pretty strong if trued right.
Where I live there very few if none who still build wheels. Still it has done me a favour as I have always wanted to learn this skill.

Re: Overbury's cross fell.

Be sure to let us know how you get on. Interesting. Planet X have stands for £50

Re:

I decided to take the spokes off the wheel. One thing I learnt is I need a better spoke key.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 539
Re:

And here are the replacement rims & rubber. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 543
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 543
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 543
Re:

Another update. I spent some time in work taking the old hub axle out and polishing the hub.
And fitted a quick release axle.
Obviously I won't be keeping the quick release skewer.
Jeff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 517
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 517
Re: Overbury's cross fell.

Just a quick update. I now have everything I need to build my wheels.
The truing stand turned up this week and I have all the spokes.
So last night I took an old junk wheel and took all the spokes out and re-laced it.
Wasn't a big deal, so now I feel well confident doing the new wheels.
Jeff.

Back