1968 - Worksop - Sun Snipe Plus..

Nice work, I used similar decals on my Snipe Prestige a re-badged Massed Start 100...

Attachments

• P5240196.JPG
    P5240196.JPG
    860.4 KB · Views: 9
Nice work, I used similar decals on my Snipe Prestige a re-badged Massed Start 100...
Thanks for that Spokesmann.. very much appreciated. I must say that Snipe Prestige is a cracker, I really rate the colours. You do have some lovely old bikes in your stable, and a good job too so that we get to look at them. I should imagine you're using a pretty good camera, the detail in some of your shots is top notch when zoomed.

Last edited:
Now.. getting the bike I wanted from the bike I bought entailed a little more than just taking the parts off of the bike, cleaning them up, and refitting. Unfortunately the bike didn't have the Maes drop bars, Milremo stem, Weinmann brake levers with Sun hoods, or RI 917 pedals that would have been on it originally. So, as luck would have it a Sun Snipe Prestige came up on Ebay with all the required parts. It wasn't what I'd planned, it blew my budget, but I had to bight the bullet for the bike I wanted. There were other parts I bought separately, but I'll deal with those later, when I wrap up the thread.

Of course, now I'm left with a Snipe Prestige with bits missing, but at sometime in the future I hope I can remedy that, and rebuild that bike too. I'll talk about that when I wrap up the thread. Anyway, below are the cleaned and polished parts I took from the Snipe Prestige. The saddle photo is the bikes original Brooks B15, and I've included the shot to show the dating A-67 on the underside, which I gather means the first quarter of 1967.

When I put up all the photo's of the finished bike I'll do a write up to go with that and include as much information as possible.

Attachments

• PARTS 7.JPG
    PARTS 7.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 15
  • PARTS 6.JPG
    PARTS 6.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PARTS 5.JPG
    PARTS 5.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 15
  • PARTS 4.JPG
    PARTS 4.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 13
  • PARTS 3.JPG
    PARTS 3.JPG
    462.5 KB · Views: 12
  • PARTS 2.JPG
    PARTS 2.JPG
    491.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PARTS 1.JPG
    PARTS 1.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for that Spokesmann.. very much appreciated. I must say that Snipe Prestige is a cracker, I really rate the colours. You do have some lovely old bikes in your stable, and a good job too so that we get to look at them. I should imagine you're using a pretty good camera, the detail in some of your shots is top notch when zoomed.
I always use a D SLR, mobile phones are not my thing and they certainly cannot replicate the quality of a good lens.

I always use a D SLR, mobile phones are not my thing and they certainly cannot replicate the quality of a good lens.
Yes.. it shows too, the quality/clarity of your shots is excellent.

I must admit to being a bit of an addict to good photography. I used to do quite a bit of amateur SLR work back in the day. I had a good friend who was a professional, and she taught me quite a few tricks. She told me to buy a couple of cheap East German Praktica SLR's with Zeiss lenses and learn the basics. Best advice I ever had re photography, and over the years I shot some really decent stuff. Alas.. I'm using a mobile phone now, and I'm very critical of what I turn out..

Back after a laptop disaster, and never got to finish my thread. A prepared draft seems to have disappeared too which is upsetting. Still, I'm hoping to retrieve lots of data which included all the photos of my Sun Snipe Plus and finish my thread with them, which at the end of the day was what it was all about after all the work.

I hope to be back with lots of photo's and a finish write up soon.. 👍

Here's one that was on my phone for now.. minus back brake cable..

BIKE 1.JPG

Ok, here's a few more photo's to peruse. Not the greatest of quality as I've said before, but they do at least give some idea of what the Snipe Plus looks like now. A few more to come after these too..

Attachments

• BIKE 1.JPG
    BIKE 1.JPG
    509 KB · Views: 2
  • BIKE 2.JPG
    BIKE 2.JPG
    586.9 KB · Views: 2
  • BIKE 3.JPG
    BIKE 3.JPG
    673.4 KB · Views: 3
  • BIKE 4.JPG
    BIKE 4.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 3
  • BIKE 6.JPG
    BIKE 6.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 3
  • BIKE 7.JPG
    BIKE 7.JPG
    625 KB · Views: 2
  • BIKE 8.JPG
    BIKE 8.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BIKE 9.JPG
    BIKE 9.JPG
    639.5 KB · Views: 2
  • BIKE 10.JPG
    BIKE 10.JPG
    551.1 KB · Views: 2
  • BIKE 11.JPG
    BIKE 11.JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
After reading this thread I can feel a project coming . My first sports bike was also a Sun Plus {snipe} Maroon in colour with black panels .Purchased from Mercians when the shop was still on London rd Derby . It started my love of all things cycling , I rode miles on it .
The search for a machine begins .

Back