1968 - Worksop - Sun Snipe Plus..

Sun Man 51

Dirt Disciple
Hello everybody.. I'm going to use this post as my introduction to the forum.. so I hope that's ok.. :)

Right, my biking story starts like this. Back in March 2021, I was talking with a neighbour, and we got to reminiscing about our first decent push bikes. Both of us are within spitting distance age wise, 70, and were brought up in the respective counties of Berkshire and Surrey. Neither of us came from what you could call wealthy families, so all previous bikes were the usual rag tag of bits and pieces put together to form a rideable bike.

So, as I said we were discussing our first decent bikes, and it turned out that.. that bike was a Sun Snipe Plus. My neighbours was Zircon Blue and mine was Flamboyant Bronze Green. I may be wrong on the proper names for those colours, so please correct me if I am. The chat was an enjoyable one, and I obviously felt inspired, and nostalgic enough to do some research online later that evening, and here the story really begins.

I have to admit at this juncture that I'd completely forgot the model name of my bike until my neighbour named his bike as a Sun Snipe Plus. So armed with the model name I typed it into a search engine and up came Spokesmann's incredible Sun. I was absolutely taken aback, stunned. There was my bike staring me in the face. Not the same bike obviously, but you get the impact. I was immediately taken back to a passage in time. A sunny Saturday morning in 1965, and a visit to the bike shop with my Dad, in Park Street, Camberley, Surrey. I was 13 years old, and so excited. I can still remember the smell in the shop, and the man checking my brand new Sun over. A deposit was paid, and my Dad signed the paperwork as a guarantor, as I was going to pay the bike off monthly with my paper round money.

The feeling of walking out of the shop with my new bike, across the pavement and onto the road, was mind blowing as a young lad. I couldn't wait to sit on that Brooks saddle and ride away. Dad and I rode quite a few miles that day, we took all the quiet back roads. In the sunshine with my new bike, I thought I was in heaven. Such a precious memory looking back.

So.. what happened after my search online ? Well, I've always been one for a project, so the idea started to gel that maybe I could find a bike to 'do up' renovate. It didn't take long, and to my surprise I found a Snipe Plus on Gumtree near Totnes in Devon. A phone call was made and a time to go and see the bike was arranged. It turned out the owner had bought the bike new (he was 15) in February 1968 from a bike shop called Fieldings, Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. Such a lovely man. He was a bit choked to see the bike go, and I was glad to spend some time chatting with him before I drove away. Promises were made that I'd keep in touch, and send him some photos if I renovated it. I kept that promise, and sent him via email the photo's of his old Sun steed. He was, in his own words "chuffed to bits" and said he would frame the main photo below.

SUN_SNIPE_PLUS_1967.jpg

Obviously the above photo is the finished article but I intend to do a before and after of the whole project, with lots of details, as I took plenty of photos while it was ongoing. Watch this space...

Ok.. so here goes, some info on the restoration of my newly acquired Worksop Sun. I'll start by saying this. Although my project bike wasn't in what one could call a terribly dire state, it was very tired, neglected, and needed a major overhaul to bring it back to what I would call a bike to be proud of. One of the first decisions I had to make was whether or not to repaint. I mulled this over for several days, but in the end I decided I just couldn't live with the frame in the state it was in. There was considerable rust and very deep pitting, and even when lightly rubbing the original paintwork it was turning to dust. The photo's below actually make the bike look a lot better than it actually was, and I know some will say, what about the patina. As I said above, I did consider this carefully, but in the end I decided that as the bike had a new owner, and new beginnings, that after a repaint and refurbishment it would acquire new patina too as the miles and years passed.

Attachments

• START 1.JPG
    START 1.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 46
  • START 3.JPG
    START 3.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 36
  • START 4.JPG
    START 4.JPG
    555.7 KB · Views: 31
  • START 5.JPG
    START 5.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 30
  • START 6.JPG
    START 6.JPG
    544.5 KB · Views: 28
  • START 7.JPG
    START 7.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 25
  • START 8.JPG
    START 8.JPG
    562.6 KB · Views: 24
  • START 9.JPG
    START 9.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 24
  • START 10.JPG
    START 10.JPG
    554.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. That's a lovely story. The most interesting builds are the ones with these personal stories behind them. How do you find it to ride?

Welcome to the forum. That's a lovely story. The most interesting builds are the ones with these personal stories behind them. How do you find it to ride?
Hello.. thank you for your welcome, its appreciated.

Now, to answer your question.. How's the ride. Well at first it was the expected outcome of an old guy getting on a drop handlebar bike after many years away. My tongue was on the floor, back aching and legs were wobbling. However, after the initial physical shock to the system, setting up the saddle/handlebars/gears, and putting in some miles, I'd say the bike performs well, and the owner's performing better.. ;) The B15 saddle is well worn in and comfortable, and the riding position now that I've adjusted the bars and stem is sustainable for my sort of mileage, and the frame is surprisingly light and nippy in IMHO. I feel part of the bike when riding so I can't ask for more really. I'm very pleased.. oh.. and having 14 gears instead of the original 5 is a big plus.. 👍

Last edited:
As I said earlier, a glance at the photo's appears to show a bike in better condition than it actually was. Still, once I'd made the decision to repaint I proceeded to strip the bike down to the frame, prior to getting it back to bare metal. Most of this work I did by hand using various grades of 3M Aluminium Oxide paper from 240 to 600 grit. I also used wire brushes, manual and powered, in the difficult areas. It was time consuming work, but I wanted the frame absolutely perfect before proceeding with the paint job.

One thing that will be noticed I expect by those familiar with these bikes, is the threaded hole for a grease nipple in the bottom bracket. This was a modification by me, there wasn't a nipple fitted originally. Another thing I did discover was the lack of a braze-on cable stop on the downtube for the forward derailleur. I distinctly remember my original old Snipe Plus having one, and a Sun Snipe Prestige bike that I have has one too.. odd!

The frame was pretty good overall, but the areas with the really deep pitting I filled with epoxy metal before the final rubbing down.

The next photo's will be of the painting etc..

Attachments

• FRAME I.JPG
    FRAME I.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 16
  • FRAME 10.JPG
    FRAME 10.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 16
  • FRAME 9.JPG
    FRAME 9.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 17
  • FRAME 8.JPG
    FRAME 8.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 17
  • FRAME 7.JPG
    FRAME 7.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 17
  • FRAME 6.JPG
    FRAME 6.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 18
  • FRAME 5.JPG
    FRAME 5.JPG
    515.4 KB · Views: 18
  • FRAME 4.JPG
    FRAME 4.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 19
  • FRAME 3.JPG
    FRAME 3.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 18
  • FRAME 2.JPG
    FRAME 2.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Looking good :), early Carlton Crespera lug use which started 1968 if memory serves
Thank you Midlife.. I must say, as much as I'm an engineer by trade, and back in the day did a lot of gas welding/brazing tube, I've very little knowledge regarding lug styles on these old bikes. I have found it immensely interesting though while researching the history of old independent British bikes like Carlton and Sun. A bygone time indeed, and very much one of the individual skilled artisan working both in a self employed capacity and for small/medium size engineering companies..

Really enjoyed the story! Thanks for sharing. It will surely be good for your health and well-being as a massive bonus.
Thank you very much hamster.. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Re the biking.. the Sun is going to be summer fair weather bike. I'll put the miles in though.

I am actually riding daily though on a very early Dawes Karakum that I saved from the scrapheap. Someone had left it outside for a couple of years, and everything that could be rusted and seized was. She's as good as new now though after a lot of TLC, and I've fitted a back rack and a pair of old Karrimor panniers for popping into town. 27 gears too, so just a wee bit easier uphill than the Sun.. haha ;)

So.. onto the painting. Now here I have to admit to a disappointment. I wanted the finished colour to be as near to the original Sun Flam Bronze Green as possible. I'd paid quite a premium for what I thought would be a perfect match. First squirt out of the can was a complete let down. It was more like luminous pea green. Awful! I phoned the company that mixed it, but after a couple of minutes I knew I would get nowhere, and was being given the runaround. Such is life eh!

Anyway, after stringing the frame up in the sunshine and wiping down with acetone, I applied a grey base coat, and three of silver. I'd bought the silver as a base for the Flam Bronze Green which is somewhat translucent, so I thought I'd use it anyway. Of course, I was stuck for a top coat, but wasn't prepared to risk another mixing failure so I opted for a can of Acrylic Forest Green that I had on the shelf in my workshop. Not what I really wanted, sometimes needs must, and I was also somewhat pressured into this by the need to make a trip across the channel, so time was tight to get the painting finished.

One thing I did want to point out, was that I was determined to try and save what remained of the seat tube decal. This was badly degraded and the metal was pitted in the area of the decal, so some painstaking work was necessary to try and make it look as respectable as possible. I smeared Vaseline over the decal area during the painting process. It was a laborious task, but was worth it in the end. Although faded, it still looks the part on the finished bike..

The quality of these photo's leave a lot to be desired because of the sunlight on bland silver paint I'm afraid, so I've dismissed most of them and kept these. Still, it proves I didn't skimp on the prep.. !!!

Attachments

• PAINT 6.JPG
    PAINT 6.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PAINT 5.JPG
    PAINT 5.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PAINT 4.JPG
    PAINT 4.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 10
  • PAINT 3.JPG
    PAINT 3.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 11
  • PAINT 2.JPG
    PAINT 2.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PAINT 1.JPG
    PAINT 1.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 14
Very nice and a great story, as has been said the personal stories are always the most interesting.

I've always liked a Sun myself which probably comes from childhood but being a little younger than you by the time I was riding them they would have been a little older and more used.

I restored a Snipe a few years ago and have another pre Raleigh Sun Wasp in the garage (which is on my to do list).
IMG_20160920_164932.jpg

Back