1968 - Worksop - Sun Snipe Plus..

This was my Snipe Plus from about 65/66. Now sold this one to a good friend. Worksop built by Carlton.

Attachments

• P5264239.JPG
    P5264239.JPG
    853.2 KB · Views: 30
My restored Sun Chris Barber 10 from about 1968/9. Got a spot spot for Sun machines.

Attachments

• P7180277.JPG
    P7180277.JPG
    636 KB · Views: 24
Very nice Spokesman, I've always wanted a Chris Barber Sun.

I have a replica jersey and cap and a friend went to see Chris Barbers Jazz band before his passing and got the cap autographed for me, he said it did raise a smile when he produced it and asked for it to be signed.

Very nice and a great story, as has been said the personal stories are always the most interesting.

I've always liked a Sun myself which probably comes from childhood but being a little younger than you by the time I was riding them they would have been a little older and more used.

I restored a Snipe a few years ago and have another pre Raleigh Sun Wasp in the garage (which is on my to do list).
View attachment 589455
Thanks very much for the post allenh.. and I must say that Snipe Prestige looks a very tasty machine indeed. Great colour, and with that red saddle and white wall tyres.. its a stand out for sure. Gone now though I presume after reading your.. NO LONGER IN THE BIKE SHED. Looking at your bike resume is pretty intimidating.. you've obviously had some very nice machines pass through your hands, and more to come by the look of your QUEUE TO BE COMPLETED.. ha ha. I look forward to seeing photo's of the Sun Wasp when its ready for showing.. ;)

This was my Snipe Plus from about 65/66. Now sold this one to a good friend. Worksop built by Carlton.
Thank you for posting that Spokesmann.. its that bike (unless you have another identical one ???) that greeted me when I first started doing some research online re the Sun Snipe Plus. As I said in my initial post, I was really taken aback when I saw it. Like being in a time machine. Its the same year and colour as mine, bought new in 1965 when I was a mere sprog of thirteen.

I put a lot of miles in on that bike as a youngster, and a fair bit when older too. I remember using it to bike from Portreath to Redruth everyday for work, St Day to Falmouth too. Plenty of hills on those routes, but still managed it ok with the 5 speed Huret/Allvit mech. I sold it to a workmate in 1986, so I presume its still in Cornwall somewhere.

When I finish up this thread I'll be posting some finished photo's of the bike, please take a look and tell me what you think. I've perused quite a few of your posts, and I must say that your bikes are absolutely stunning, and they most definitely inspired me to take on my project..

Very nice Spokesman, I've always wanted a Chris Barber Sun.

I have a replica jersey and cap and a friend went to see Chris Barbers Jazz band before his passing and got the cap autographed for me, he said it did raise a smile when he produced it and asked for it to be signed.
Yes its a stunning bike isn't it.. re Chris Barbers Jazz Band.. I just happened to be on a course in Wellingborough around 1974/5 if my memory serves me. The hotel that I was staying at had a wing for gigs, and I got got lucky, the band were playing one evening when I was there. Great night, got to meet all the band afterwards too. Then a year later I scored again.. Acker Bilk and his band were guesting.. great stuff..

Welcome, and thanks for your elaborate report, Sun Man! I very much enjoyed the read. 👍
Thank you very much non-fixie.. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've some more to come with the final painting, decals, and putting it all back together, photo's, plus info on parts etc.. Stay tuned.. 👍

Ok.. I've been very busy so had to drop additions to the thread for a few days.

Anyway, here goes with some info on the final painting and decals. As I've mentioned previously, I'd purchased some finishing paint that was supposedly going to give me the exact colour that I wanted, identical to the original Flam Bronze Green. It was a dismal failure, so in both frustration and the fact that time was against me I grabbed a can of Forest Green off of a shelf in my workshop and used that.

The black panels were masked up first and then sprayed. After finishing with the green and applying the decals I applied three coats of clear lacquer over all surfaces. Again, not the best of photo's but I was pleased with the end paint result, especially the decals, which I must admit I was just a little nervous about applying, the Sun ones in particular as they were both delicate and had to be applied on the frame in exactly the right place. I used the water spray method to apply them so that I could adjust the positions a little before smoothing out.

I'll do another post after this with the putting together of the bike, and photo's of the finished article..

Attachments

• GREEN FRAME 1.JPG
    GREEN FRAME 1.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 16
  • GREEN FRAME 2.JPG
    GREEN FRAME 2.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 17
  • GREEN FRAME 3.JPG
    GREEN FRAME 3.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 19
  • GREEN FRAME 4.JPG
    GREEN FRAME 4.JPG