“Period correct”

enc

Kona Fan
Manufacturers would (and still do) bring out a “new” version of a particular bike every year but a component can often run a few years without change.
How long either side of a bikes model year does the period last? What is period correct?

Depends.

I think it's pretty rare for someone then and now to put older components on a new bike. Maybe you might swap out a saddle and a few other contact points for old favourites, but you're not likely to stick an older mech on it out of preference.

So really we are talking what was around when the bike model came out and a bit later. I'd say up to +3 years. Anymore than that and you risk bumping into a new major innovation - certainly true with 80s/90s/00s/10s mountain bikes. If you are looking at earlier bikes, then it might you can drift up to a decade and still feel period correct.

Personally if i want to build a bike period correct i look at what components were available at the time of the frame release. For example if fitting XTR i would use M900 before and up to '95, M910 for a '95 bike, M95* groups for after.

Some manufactures did release a new frame every 2 years, Kona for example, just with a different paint job, pretty much the same with motorbike manufactures, though i dont really know about other bike brands.

Other things depict the components for me if not too bothered about period/catalogue spec, like frame features, i always try to run canti's on canti frames for example and dont really like mixing groupsets by the same manufacturer.

Agreed.

Could you buy the part, in that specific model at the time you could buy the frame/bike? If so, period correct.

I feel the same way as most on this thread, whenever the frame came out and what was available 2 or 3 years subsequent is more or less okay with me.

Unless you are trying to build it perfectly catalogue spec, but that isnt really my style.

Most bikes would have been ridden in spec for a season or two max and then they would have been upgraded, new brakes or derailleur or whatever was cool at the time.

My bikes are all 96/97 so it makes it easy to just run XTR 95X and XT M739.

I have no issues putting V brakes on frames that were designed for canti (my 96 King Kahuna and my 95 explosif I did this). I just think they work so much better

Back