What spares to stock for future proofing my retrobike?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
I read with interest a couple of posts regarding bike hoarding or people with just one bike, and a few people recommended having less bikes but actually piling up on spares to ensure future repairability.

Since one of the many reasons I like retro bikes is their simplicity and that I can repair myself nearly everything, and given that at the current crazy pace of changing standards things get obsolete faster than ever...

What are the basic spares you would recommend to stock to keep early 90's rigid steel bikes with no proprietary components rolling for a long time? I'm not particular about being period correct as long as the bikes work... Thanks!

Chains, cassettes and chainrings. Jockey wheels, brake blocks, cables, rims and tyres. Anything with bearings, either full parts or replacement cartridges depending on bearing type. Basically anything subject to wear. If you're not bothered about period then don't worry, most stuff will continue to be available in some form going forward.

Good quality 26" wheels.

This.

Complete non-disc wheels in nos/VGC, or rims, or hubs. This can be done without breaking the bank if you don't rush. Do your homework and buy quality items that can last, or remain desireable. They don't have to be unicorn items, which is good.

To me it would depend on your bike(s) and what parts you have fitted.

You can still get most parts in a modern versions, but most are lower end, such as cassettes, rings and chains.

I'd be more discerning, focus on consumable items and keep your eyes out for decent quality new and, nos or lightly used retro tems such as:

26 inch rims and tyres
Cassettes
Chains
Square taper BBS
Brake blocks
Jockey wheels
Grips

Cables will always be available (though decent v brake cables and outers are not as common as I'd like, so I've stockpiled xtr sets).

The rest of your bike won't need replacing unless you do some damage. If you maintain things like bearings you won't need to stockpile hubs, headsets or pedals.

It also can't hurt to have a few spares of your favourite saddle.

Wheel set, for me that is crucial and a fork serviceable. The rest you can buy (easy to buy nice quality casettes and chains, still nice tires etc etc)

I have a pair of wheels for retro and a pair of wheels for modern 26" and a SID team and a Z2 , so I have all to surveive to a 26" apocalipsys 😅

Latest posts

Back