Period-correct spokes?

escuta

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I have a pair of NOS 1980s Campagnolo Lambda Strada tubular rims that I wish to have built with a pair of 80s Gipiemme Sprint hubs. Since I'm using period/model-correct parts as much as possible (see my post https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1980s-somec-special.466231), the person that sold me the rims strongly recommended zink plated steel spokes and not stainless steel.

Everything I read online about zink coated spokes compared to stainless steel, is pretty negative. I'd like to stay period correct, but will zink coated spokes be an unnecessary potential headache?

I should point out that I usually ride in dry conditions (and in a usually very dry climate) and won't be using this bike for commuting in the wet.

So I'd be interested to hear what retro/classic purists think of zink coated spokes.

Thanks and cheers,

Way back when I used butted chrome spokes, Robergel and the like. Borderline for strength though, especially 15/17 lol

I used stainless spokes back in the early 1980s. Most people went for chrome plated, some preferred butted, some plain gauge. Very, very few people had quality wheels built with rustless (zinc plated) spokes - which really weren't very 'rustless' and tended to discolour very quickly.

I used stainless spokes back in the early 1980s. Most people went for chrome plated, some preferred butted, some plain gauge. Very, very few people had quality wheels built with rustless (zinc plated) spokes - which really weren't very 'rustless' and tended to discolour very quickly.
Thanks, that's interesting that stainless was used at the time. It only occurred to me now to check the 1983 catalogue for the Somec Special. The spokes are indeed listed. They were "Alpina Lisci" spokes but Google doesn't show anything for this, in my search.

As mentioned, probably would have been chrome plated spokes back in the day. These days, stainless (double butted) is superior and looks just like chrome until you look closely.

If you’re in the UK, the ones from cyclebasket are very good value and look perfect on older wheels. Fit and forget 👍

Back