Über rare titanium: 2000 Kona Score

Re: He shoots, he scores!! Kona content

Anthony":1eqzm3eu said:
You don't sound as though you actually want it very much, now you've got it!

My take on the Score is that it was designed for a 110mm Z1 QR20 with wide bars, 75mm stem (so says the geometry chart) and definitely disc brakes. If it was mine I'd be building it straight away, but first I would want to measure it. Size-wise it looks as though it's way too small for most of the people ogling it in this thread, but I'm guessing it's got a top tube of about 535mm c-c (same as a size 16 xc Kona), combined with a 15" seat tube and a 11cm head tube? Weight is supposed to be over 4lbs, so it must be very stiff by ti standards, but so it should be as it's designed to be a much burlier bike than an xc.

The most important thing though is the head angle. The catalogue quotes 71 degrees, but Kona head angle quotes are totally meaningless, so before building it I would want to mock it up with say a 100mm fork and measure the static head angle to see what you've really got there.

Not at all Anthony. So much time has passed since I won it that I had almost resigned myself to losing the frame (and the money I paid for it) so I'm just relieved it's here. I guess I'm a bit unsure of the build because of the age of the bike. I normally go period correct on my builds but I think in this case I may go more modern. I'm only 5'7" in thick socks so I think it will do me but I'll have to experiment with stem size nearer the time. They only came in a 15", a 17" and a 17" long (I think) so I guess most people rode them a little smaller than your regular XC machine.

MynameisCasper":3tv3opp6 said:
Über cool bike Adrian. Is this your first Ti bike?

It is indeed Casper, I could just swap most of the bits over from the Implant to get riding it quicker!

Latest posts

Back