2000 Kona Score Titanium

Nah, he brought up a good point, the catalog score is different from all the other ones you see. A couple unique differences, pre production prototype is what appears to be in the catalog.

No head tube gusset, 2 pairs of water bottle cage mounts. Yabai ended up with what is suspected to be the frame used in the catalog which uses a King Kahuna Serial # https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/kona-score-kahuna-‘99-or-early-2000.465871/

Last edited:
Nah, he brought up a good point, the catalog score is different from all the other ones you see. A couple unique differences, pre production prototype is what appears to be in the catalog.

No head tube gusset, 2 pairs of water bottle cage mounts. Yabai ended up with what is suspected to be the frame used in the catalog which uses a King Kahuna Serial # https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/kona-score-kahuna-‘99-or-early-2000.465871/

Yep and also documented on Pip's list here

Score Frame Numbers 2000:
Production of the Score was halted mid-season, allegedly due to the cost of producing the frame. Dan Capek at Kona told me that if he had to guess, between 20 and 50 Score frames were built.

Another source however that seems more certain, said that 100 Score frames were made. Fifty 15’’, Forty 17'' and Ten 17'' - long (longer top tube).

The 18” frame was never documented in any of the Kona Spec – only 15”, 17” and 17” Long - or Small, Medium & Long. Nevertheless, Pip owned one in 18”, and saw one more 18” Score for sale in the U.S. in an old Pinkbike advert, which may possibly had been his before it came to the U.K. A second confirmed 18" was shared in July-22, so perhaps a small batch were produced after-all.

KK17069 - Original correct Score decals, shorter top tube approx. 21.7" but no gusset and with King Kahuna SN prefix (note no currently recorded 1999/00 King Kahuna with the same SN). Likely early production show, demo or catalogue example.
KS15003 - Verbal from Anthony via e-Bay advert, no picture.
KS15004 – Original Decals complete.
KS15006 – No Decals.
KS15020 - Original Decals complete.
KS15022 - Original Seat Tube Decal, 2001 Down Tube Decal – now removed.
KS17083 - Original Decals complete.
KS17084 - Original Decals complete.
KS17088 - Verbal on RB via e-Bay advert.
KS17090 – Seat Tube and Head Tube Decals only.
KS17094 - Original Decals complete.
KS17098 – Photo of Serial Number only.
KS18161 - Original Decals complete.
KS18170 – Replica Seat Tube Decal, remaining original Decals complete (Pips).

Finally had a chance to give it a good shakedown. Going from Uber light CK qr hubs laced to 517's to Hope II's, bolt through axles and Stan's Flow rims slowed things down on pavement. Was about 10-15% slower over 30 miles... Plus the slightly higher front end didn't help. Felt great, however, and once I get the ECC lever, that may help my aero tuck, lol.

On the trail it was fantastic, still snappy, more forgiving and the higher front end improved geo for moderate trails. More confident in the wheels and the extra 20mm up front is fantastic.

Can't wait to put more miles on this, it'll be the go to for the local XC trails. So stoked! 😁

Had a chance to hit some dry dirt trails for the first time. Tons of fun. The Shiver SC soaks up the roots and rocks very well. The frame is VERY laterally stiff, no deflection under power. I feel some give in the rear triangle under harsher impacts, which is welcome. I'm still trying to learn to get the legs ready to absorb impacts with the saddle set pretty high. A lot of quick ups and downs with a fair amount of winding flats on this trail system. So happy to have this bike, it rips!
20240319_204814.jpg

Back