2000 Kona Score Titanium

Thanks for the compliments on the Score, it's a really nice bike, and yes I should really wear the 2nd ear bud. Still might add some extra grease to the CK needle bearings and see if that quiets things down... almost sounds like a crunchy bearing, but that shouldn't be the case as I just did a hub overhaul. Retightening the spokes did help a bit. Might lube up the sections of spokes that touch and see if that works too.... It's super annoying. Only does it under power. Same noise happened on the Bianchi the wheels were on previously.

Yep, wife's new (used) bike to replace her other bike she rarely rides. This is upgrade #3 for her, just selling the old ones as we go. It is VERY nice and completely unnecessary lol. Fun little project though, went through and refreshed the drivetrain and suspension, clean and re-greased the pivots, changed to a shorter stem. Super easy. The dropper and 29" wheels will be a big change for her.

Attachments

• post rebuild.jpg
    post rebuild.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 16
Took the bike out for another 30 mile ride, popping and pinging all the way, only under load. If I got out of the saddle and hammered on the pedals it would also cease. Hubs, spokes, maybe a needle bearing in the hub....Nope Kind of embarrassed at what the "wheel noise" solution was... Seatpost. The Thomson was already well antisiezed, but taking it out putting it back in and spinning it around a few times in the seat tube apparently distributed the antisieze into the right place.

Whisper quiet finally! I can confidently say it's done and 100%. (Unless a shiver sc comes my way underused and underpriced)

Attachments

• 20230316_191832.jpg
    20230316_191832.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 38
Most appropriate thread hijack ever! Great looking build since I passed it along! Interestingly/coincidentally enough, I was pedaling my Litespeed Obed with a twisted spoke 650b wheelset and xtr 95x build around town today.

Can't thank you enough Ben, such a unicorn for me.

It's been a pleasure to build, ride and have in my home.

Can't leave us hanging, gotta share a pic of the twisted spokes Obed :)

4E1F9079-57B3-4475-85BE-A372E6940F11.jpeg FD758325-0DF2-442E-BD12-799AA4D2D2F2.jpeg

Tease 1.0, just because these pics are on my phone... Obed is parked outside the brewery right now after a changeover from studded tires this morning... stay tuned. It’s definitely a bit of a bastard; partially period correct, but also... not. Similar to your Score!

XTR M950, Thomson & CK... All mounted on a sweet ti frame. Propper build for the discerning bar hopper!

Love the bars and shifters man, clever & cool!

Back