2004 Kona Unit resurrection

moonlite

Kona Fan
I've been on the lookout for a 26"-wheeled Unit in a larger size for ages, but they're pretty rare here in Australia and I'd reached a point where I really didn't expect to see one for sale.

But then one day on Facebook Marketplace, I saw a 2004 model on offer in Melbourne. There was just the one photo, and of course it was NDS. Still, not only was the frame a 19", but the price was just AU$ 100 -- about 52 GBP. I could afford to take a punt -- and even if there were problems, the bits and pieces would probably be worth more than that.

Here's the pic from the ad:

0 mine.jpeg

It was clear that the forks, wheels, seat/post, stem and bars were all non-original; I wasn't keen on the Marzocchis (I have a few stashed away already) and couldn't really make out the wheels or brakes, but the Race Face cranks looked good. It was advertised as an urban runabout, hence the slicks.

The problem was that I was stuck at home in NSW, recovering from a broken ankle, so finding a way to take delivery was going to be a problem. But after an appeal on the local retro MTB page, a volunteer stepped forward who would be happy to fetch it and store it until I was able to travel. The cost? A six-pack of something sudsy.

As soon as my new mate took delivery, he sent a pic of the probable reason for the low price and the NDS pic -- a nasty ding on the DS downtube.

ding.jpg

Not nice at all, but not a dealbreaker. Over the next couple of weeks we corresponded and agreed to exchange the forks, bar, stem, seat/post and brakes for the fetching, storage, and boxing-up of the frame and wheels. I wanted to fit rigid forks, and have nicer versions of the other bits at home. I think we were both happy with that -- although the beer will be delivered next time I'm in town.

And today I finally got my hands on it, after six weeks' plotting. As expected, that ding is a big disappointment, particularly as the rest of the paint is quite good. The wheels are Mavic Crossrocs with a singlespeed converter on the freewheel -- nicer hoops than expected. The seatpost clamp and headset were a brand I'd never heard of before: Woodman Components. While the clamp looks pretty good, the headset has huge cups which look heavy.

clamp2.jpg

headset.jpg

I think the headset will go, but unless a Kona-branded clamp shows up, this one can stay.

Interestingly, in keeping with the urban runabout build, it had secure QRs rather than quick-release quick releases.

axles 2.jpg

That's where we stand right now. Over the weekend I'll dig out the forks earmarked for this build, have a closer look at the chainset, and sort out brakes, seatpost, saddle, stem and bars. Overall, the plan is for a lighter, rim-brake, cross-country build.

In the meantime, what thoughts on that horrible ding?

Removed that huge headset this morning -- it was indeed quite a bit heavier than the ones waiting to be selected to replace it.

IMG_1874.jpg
IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

I'm going to try these P2s as the first fork option. A bit tatty but overall OK and with sufficient steerer length. Look out for a mock-up shortly!

P2 full.jpg

A pretty good deal even with the dent. I wonder if there's any techniques to minimize it/get it out, it's a shame it's so close the the decal area. Looking forward to seeing it progress. I think the red headset would get my vote.

Blue for me, although the red is sweet too. Look up Paul Brodie's YT video on dent repair, quite easy to minimize it without having to repaint just needs a good bench vice and a bit of woodwork. Bottle cage boss might mean a bit of creative modding of the frame block but looks like it'd tidy up well using that technique.

Thanks both -- I'll look at how to minimise the dent. That tubing is pretty thin!

The blue headset has won out -- although red would look better, I had to concede that keeping a King headset sitting in the spares box is silly when I want the bike to be as good as possible. It may lead to some odd colour clashes later on, but for now it's in.

Just watched Brodie's video -- he does a fantastic job but it's well beyond my skills and resources. Then there's the need to re-paint. As they say, it's a big job guv.

Oh yeh doing the full job is a bit much, I was thinking more just the frame block part to get it rounded up more as that ought to make it more presentable and likely save the paint too. Paul just takes it to another level but then again, that's "what he does"

OK mock-up time. There's still lots to do but this is roughly how it'll look when done.

IMG_1906.jpg

I went with the blue headset because Chris King; this immediately caused colour-coordination doubts because the chosen brakes and levers are Avid Mags which only seem to come in orange. They've been sitting in a box for years and are the best I have so on they went.

The seatpost and stem are silver Thomson bits -- the layback post is needed to fit me on a 19" frame. The bars are Nitto For Shred in 650mm -- silver again and 25.4mm so suited to the older stem.

IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1911.jpg
I reckon the 720mm For Shreds would be fantastic but these are the ones I have, so on they go. The wheels are Mavic Crossroc with thief-proof QRs and Schwalbe Kojak slicks -- harking back to the bike's previous life as an urban runabout. The tyres will go, replaced by something a bit more suited to the dry hardpack tracks around here.

IMG_1904.jpg IMG_1905.jpg

The previous owner had five sprockets to choose from on the back -- not a bad idea given how easy it would be to change ratios using just an allen key. I'll be reducing this to one, once we get into that 'find the right ratio' process.

The drivetrain is unchanged at the moment: original Race Face cranks, chainring and bash guard. There are a few options here -- mainly, a larger ring than the current 34T. I usually have a 36T or 38T. All considerations for another day.

IMG_1909.jpg

Oh, and a new chain, suitably tensioned, is also on the menu.

Some further progress: ordered some very fancy tyres -- Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass 26 x 2.3. I wasn't really taken with the tan sidewalls, but it was the only version available at the time, so there you are.

IMG_1990.jpg

The chain is currently marinating in degreaser while I look for the singlespeed freewheel spacers I know are lurking somewhere in the spares box. Hoping to use this nice Chris King 15t cog at the back, which hopefully will play nicely with the 34t at the front. We shall see.

IMG_1981.jpg

Still waiting for brake cartridges with pads -- the ones I bought on eBay have not arrived although the vendor says they have received notice of delivery, so a bit of online wrangling is on the cards. In the meantime, there is the option of some XTR Vs and levers which are earmarked for another build which hasn't started yet.

Back