Any suggestions for chain guide for 1x9 setup?

I usually use a bash ring outer with a old front derailleur with the outer guide plate cut off. Adjust the guide plate to the in side of the chain, usually leave the top linking part from the two guide plates to stop the chain bouncing off upward. find it all works as good as a shop bought specific component for pennies .

I've got Straitline Silent Guide, and I cant fault it so far at all, I've even restored my confidence in geared systems. This is all very well as this is my one modern geared all round all action MTB! Not sure I'd feel happy spending another £100 to get my Trailstar going or a hack, never say never though.

Went for a little spin the other day, the chain was fine most the way but dropped off dropping off a kerb on the way back.

I don't really have much of a budget to be blowing on silent guides etc although they look awesome!, been selling a few bits on eBay and reinvesting back into the bike, trying to do a fairly tidy job. To be honest the superstar upper guide is a good price and hopefully will do the job, otherwise a bash ring and something cheap holding the inside is another option, seems most the jump stop stuff and similar isn't readily available in the uk? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Regarding an inner guard, I followed a mate at works suggestion and put the granny ring back. he reckons on his it catches the chain if it falls off inwards.

GuyWood":2748sh29 said:
Regarding an inner guard, I followed a mate at works suggestion and put the granny ring back. he reckons on his it catches the chain if it falls off inwards.

Thats cheating! :twisted:

I use a Superstar Plasma guide on my BFe and reckon its pretty good for the money, although I have managed to drop the odd chain and get it jammed (I think think may be more to do with a slightly worn and bend chainring, so I'll replace that this month).

I have an E13 on my ,ain bike and its pretty good but I'm not sure it's worth twice what the Superstar one cost me.

I picked up a Gaumut one cheap off eBay and that was actually really good. I think I paid about twenty odd quid. It's been sold on now though.

secret_squirrel":24y7zhc4 said:
GuyWood":24y7zhc4 said:

Thats cheating! :twisted:

I don't see the problem?
Re-fit the granny ring to catch any inward chain bounce. Use a front mech to hold the chain on line, and then maybe even fit a shifter to allow for some minor chainline adjustments on the move.
Oh wait....I'm back where I started :LOL:

I did go back to 3 up front but the thread between the pedal and crank arm stripped, so I needed a new crank, picked up a hussefelt for £15, unfortunately it was from a single speed and the person before ground off the granny ring mounts. Me being the tight git I am decided to just go back to one up front rather than buy another crank.

To be honest I get by ok with 1x9 but it does annoy me when I drop a chain, I'm going to set up the rear derailleur again and see if I can improve it

Back