What's a decent crank set for...

velomentary

Devout Dirtbag
Hello. I was selling this but after little interest I've decided to crack on and start building it into as much of a nice ride as I can. The thing that is doing my head in is the ofmega 46t 38t chain set. I can't find a retro replacement thats not quite expensive. Is there a ratio I can get onto the bike that is still two ring so I can have a front derailleur (I've got a suntour ar ready to go on) but is not 46/38? I'm planning on putting a suntour ar rear derailleur as well. I'm not too precious about ratios but just would like something silver and more vintage looking. Any advice appreciated. 🤟 1000010148.jpg

Hello. I was selling this but after little interest I've decided to crack on and start building it into as much of a nice ride as I can. The thing that is doing my head in is the ofmega 46t 38t chain set. I can't find a retro replacement thats not quite expensive. Is there a ratio I can get onto the bike that is still two ring so I can have a front derailleur (I've got a suntour ar ready to go on) but is not 46/38? I'm planning on putting a suntour ar rear derailleur as well. I'm not too precious about ratios but just would like something silver and more vintage looking. Any advice appreciated. 🤟View attachment 813206
Hey, good on you for deciding to start building rather than get rid. Nice upright setup there, just the way I love it.

I'd just grab a cheap triple crankset, I'm sure some folks on here can get you a fairly priced shimano or sugino cheapo triple which lasts practically forever. Better gear range too.

You could always remove the granny ring on a triple and get a shorter spindle BB to drive it further in for a 2x setup with less high gears if you're set on 2x

Brilliant, yes, I'll have a look at the sugino or Shimano. Sounds good. To be honest 3 rings dong bother me really - I only really use the middle ring but I like a front and rear derailleur in case the hills do appear out of nowhere. Great I'll check out them cranks. Thanks for the advice.

3 would just give you better range. If you make a wanted thread I'm sure you'll find plenty of people with various chainsets they'd happily get rid off for a modest bit of beer money.

Back