Ugly Modern bikes

I have got to say i prefer a tall headtube , few spacers and a flattish stem (90 degrees to the head tube at most) over inches of spacers and a seriously "upwards" stem , also if the bars are higher than the seat a MTB should have been purchased IMO

am I a bike fit snob ???

Thats one of my pet hates. Modern racing bikes that have the geometry of a sit up and beg.

My other one is that hardly any of these race replicas are sold with a standard chainset - living the dream or what :)

God that last lot of just awaful. Technologically speaking right up there with the best, aesthetically speaking just plain bloody awful. Thats my two penneth!

I have recently developed a slight hankering for a modern road bike, mainly due to lightness and rigidity of a carbon bike.

Having seen a very good write up of a certain bike on line, I managed to visit the importers showroom today. Typically, the model I wanted to see was not in stock, so I thought I would look at what else they had.

I had bought an hour and a half parking, so that I had time for a good natter, after walking up and down a row of bikes from several different manufacturers I left, and was back in my car in less than fifteen minutes; they were just so totally uninspiring.

I think the best aspect of modern cfrp (Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic) frames is the rust/corrosion resistance , as a bonus they are approx 1/2 the weight of my good old steel tubed frames also , i would only purchase something with "straight" tubing and i'm not adverse to modern sloping top tube and long seat post designs either

The felt on page 2 isn't actually all that bad to me, just get rid of the yellow though.
I almost bought this, traditional looking frameset, nothing too oversized, no ghastly fat bulgy headtube, just was a smidge too big to justify going higher than the £240 odd it went for, still a snap at a ton more tbh.
1100g for a 62cm (virtually) non compact frame was rather tempting though..lol

Attachments

• SCOTT CR1 team.JPG
    SCOTT CR1 team.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 321
I love my 2010 Time RXR as the triangular tubing is very stylish & lugged & follows a traditional frame make up rather than those horrid sloping top tubes.

Back