Retro v modern at a modern club ride... what happened

Great to hear your story...

While my fitness isn't what it was 20 years ago when I was really in the thick of it, my bike hasn't changed much. I've been going on club rides locally for the last 2 years, after all-too-many years of hiatus. And when I first showed up, it was similar, me just another fat guy with a bike from the before-times.... Skinny legged air-oil fork, 8spd, low in front, narrow bars.

I keep up. When I fail to, it's not the 55mm of suspension slowing me, but the layer of blubber 'round my middle. Nothing "they" can ride that I can't. Fitness is coming back.

There's a demo ride coming up later in the week... Might give one of the modern KHS or IBIS bikes a spin... Wonder what all that travel really means? Other than weight, maintenance and complexity....

J

Cheers for the comments all. On heading over to Canada to ride double blacks... thanks for the invite - but not for me :) , In the same way, I reached a level in climbing years ago and then backed off the grades a touch. For me it's just not fun if I'm on the razors edge... which it very much sounds like those double black routes would be whether you are on a modern or an old bike (perhaps you'd be over the edge, or 'over the bars!' on an old bike though!).

On what all that travel really means... In a dream I was riding the trails and floating on air. It didn't hurt at all, it was just blissful single track passing underneath me. Perhaps that's what it means? (In comparison to the spine rattling, brain shaking thrashing that is my experience of flat out on my 95 KHS!).

Perhaps someone wants to gift me a couple of grand so I can report back? ;-)

I was only kidding, about trying the double blacks. Way back in the late eighties/early nineties, we used to ride down the hiking trails on the North Shore there on our hard-tail/rigid forked machines (suspension forks not yet invented).

then - Rockshox!

Downhillers became more daring, and the numbers of people riding through there ballooned. Kids became more ballsy, rear suspension was invented, front shocks gained travel, the Go-Pro was invented ... and then every moment of experience was a 'kodak courage' moment.

Sponsorships were strived over, tricks and daring were stretched to limits, younger rider's testicles swelled to the size of basketballs ... then single-track bike-only trails with rider-constructed obstacles (ladders, rails, see-saws, and bridges) were erected - to make the going even more challenging.

Nowadays ... much of the terrain on many of the more/most difficult trails is next to impossible to negotiate by foot with well-soled hikers on, let alone a rigid or hard-tail ride. Is freakin insane.

No wonder North Shore orthopedic surgeons are swelling in number, and making a fortune ...

From what I've seen in the park, modern bikes breed what I call a "slam and pray" riding style... The modern cyclist knows that if he just hits the obstacle at sufficient speed, the suspension will get him/her over it. Few riders seem to be able to finesse anything... Lift the wheels over? How do ya do that?

J

FSXStumpy":mdkh5tln said:
From what I've seen in the park, modern bikes breed what I call a "slam and pray" riding style... The modern cyclist knows that if he just hits the obstacle at sufficient speed, the suspension will get him/her over it. Few riders seem to be able to finesse anything... Lift the wheels over? How do ya do that?

J

That is true. I did a big ride yesterday on my modern. You don't need too much in the way of old school finesse. Just hit it and the calmer angle of the larger diameter wheels and big tires will take you over it. The suspension doesn't even work too hard.

Modern riders don't lack finesse I think ... Just a different skill set. Their ability to toss the bike side to side and drift is incredible.

I was actually thinking about this as I rode yesterday. I don't worry about lines through the trail ... Don't have to. Its all speed and momentum. I'm just about to head out for a morning retro ride and it will be 100% different. Woke up today after 30km on the new bike ... No pain. I'll bet I'm sore tomorrow after 15km on the Brodie :D

FSXStumpy":38fenyc6 said:
Have fun!

Good times! Other than some poison oak :|

The ol brodie did the same ride as my 29er minus the last loop. Faired well, but was out matched by some sections. A little over 21km of single track. I'm gonna hurt ... I can tell already :cry:

I could make 3 changes to her and she'd be much better, but what's the fun in that? I built this thing to do what it does. It rides like a premium early 90s bike ... Love it :D

Back