1981 Raleigh Twenty folder - BMXified (ish)

Re: 1981 Raleigh Twenty folder - BMXified!

Looks like a good project!

Mine's still going strong.
I'm back on a 16 tooth freewheel, as the 13 tooth required too much effort to get going. Fine if you don't plan on stopping for a while, but rubbish for stop/start inner city trips.
I also put the adjustable seat clamp back on (this time the shim's above the clamp, so it's not damaging the post), as the seat jutting out was making it really difficult to store. As an added bonus, it means I can drop the seat so I can push along with my feet - ideal for zooming around the local park with my son on his balance bike!

I have a Raleigh Twenty (well, a stowaway).

I love it.

You can go on trains. There is no need to wear special clothes. It rides just like an old-school roadster, except it's more stable with loads.

I am thinking about doing a conversion to mine so I can have 24" wheels. The 3-speeds are OK, but they're not good for potholes. It might also develop a mech, and 20" wheels put it too close to the ground, IMO.

The wheels will fit in the frame, I just need to move the brake bridge. The fork will be off a kiddies bike, and will feature a Magura as I have one in the parts bin. Keeping the mudguards, but replacing them with something plastic. Seatpost, crank, stem and bars will be replaced with something lighter.

Watch this space...

Got all the bits for my twenty build but project keeps stalling, its been between 3 and 5 years in the running and its still not built :facepalm: :oops:

Re:

Heres my non folding twenty. My next project will be a folder.

15169762593_9af5d3d050_z.jpg

Fixed that for ya ;)
Tel

Re:

I've bought myself a 1977 Solitaire Twenty and plan on fitting mags, similar to the one in the photo.
5808388177_5d6f19b618_b.jpg

However, the width option for tyres look fairly limited owing to the fairly narrow forks. I want to keep the original forks ideally - anyone got any ideas what sort of width 20" tyres I could get away with? I'd quite like slightly wider on the back I find possible...

Re:

I like these a lot, not sure I'd live with one for long but as a bit of fun brilliant and you've got me thinking now.

I'm sure I've got some 20" wheels somewhere that have a cassette or freewheel rear hub and I'm pretty certain my friend has a a twenty in his shed that I'll be able to talk him out of and that's yet another project to add to my winter list so thanks for that. I'm thinking at least 12 speed with drops and Raleigh team colours at the moment if I can get the rear wheel into the frame.

I bought the frame and a few bits for one of these last year for 3 quid off ebay:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 7c00fd4512

with the intention of fitting 20" mountain bike wheels, but the amount of stretching of the rear stays needed put me off a little. I've been toying with putting it back to a standard 3 speed shopper, but having read this post now tempted by a different route! I like the look of Sheldon's bike so might got that way, or even go back to the six speed with a 20" mountain bike fork! I have a 50 tooth Brompton chainset to go on there so it should be fairly rapid if I do!

Back