Ugly modern bikes

I'd love to save up and buy one of the modern Yo Eddy's but the geometry has not changed since the re-release and seems miles away from what I actually want to ride these days.

Which is pretty normal these days, same as the steep seat tube. To me, the flat bar bike looks too steep in the HA and the seat tube too laid back. Depends what you like I guess but I much prefer the current geometry trends.
I e never ridden a modern MTB nor a Gravel such as the FRM here.
Would love to get my hands on that FRM or their Anakin (if a FS MTB) or lower
Down the price range a Bianchi Methanol )I’ll keep on dreaming

I've had some sort of modern bike since 2005 and changed at least every 5 years so have been dragged along with the various trends. If you jumped straight on something bang up to date you'd probably hate it at first but once you got used to it the retro gear would feel small and twitchy. Not offering an opinion about what's best as it's an individual choice but I really like the current stuff.

If you were to dip your toe then a gravel bike would be a good place to start as they have not gone too far yet so it wouldn't be too much of a change.

I've had some sort of modern bike since 2005 and changed at least every 5 years so have been dragged along with the various trends. If you jumped straight on something bang up to date you'd probably hate it at first but once you got used to it the retro gear would feel small and twitchy. Not offering an opinion about what's best as it's an individual choice but I really like the current stuff.

If you were to dip your toe then a gravel bike would be a good place to start as they have not gone too far yet so it wouldn't be too much of a change.
Most recent bike I had was a Merida with the LRS from around 2003- I really enjoyed that. After that was when my MTB days from when they began in about 1994 stopped until 2011 when I rediscovered my youth and this site.

Like many people I’d ‘upgrade’ the bike when a new one came a couple years down the line to try out new gearing etc

The Bianchi Methanol you mentioned looks nice. The bar width... I cant come to terms with on the modern bikes. Has this bike won any pro races?

Most recent bike I had was a Merida with the LRS from around 2003- I really enjoyed that. After that was when my MTB days from when they began in about 1994 stopped until 2011 when I rediscovered my youth and this site.

Like many people I’d ‘upgrade’ the bike when a new one came a couple years down the line to try out new gearing etc

MTB geometry began to change in a big way around 2015, and that's roughly when the other major new trends began to become mainstream eg bigger wheels, dropper posts, 1x, wider handlebars, clutch mechs, boost etc. Put together there's been a ton of innovation - some good, some not so much.

I like modern bikes as they allow me to ride stuff I wouldn't dare to otherwise, but retros are still a ton of fun in the right context too (and sadly without some serious tweaking of stem/handlebars a bit more than my aged wrists can take).

The Bianchi Methanol you mentioned looks nice. The bar width... I cant come to terms with on the modern bikes. Has this bike won any pro races?
Not sure but they’ve had some success on podium finishes riding the Methanol.

Back