1981 Raleigh Twenty folder - BMXified (ish)

Re: 1981 Raleigh Twenty folder - BMXified!

It's wrong but................ I love it.

Nice job to lavish such care and attention on an old folder.

I think it's fantastic - a wonderfully creative use of something otherwise a bit frumpy.

Cool yes but Sheldon brown did it first and did it best!!
Personally I think yours is a bit too slapdash with little attention to it's bmx allusions, cool nonetheless but here's the real deal.
Not just restyled but reborn... :shock:

Attachments

• raleigh-twenty-8-01.jpg
    raleigh-twenty-8-01.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 917
  • raleigh-twenty-8-03.jpg
    raleigh-twenty-8-03.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 917

With just a little bit more thought , it could be just like a girls bmx.... not quite right...... isit?? :mrgreen:

Attachments

• eurrgh2.jpg
    eurrgh2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 912

That bike looks like what I started with! :)

Sheldon's webpages opened my eyes to R20s, and got me hunting to see what others had done. I prefer the minimal look to his busy bike - there's some great examples on the raleightwenty website, and this one was what made me decide to go for it:

Turns out, they look pretty sweet without all the guards!

I had no allusions toward making mine a BMX, or a tourer, or a racer. I wanted a shopper, but one with a few usability tweaks, and that minimal look. I wanted BMX sized wheels (mainly due to chunky tyres - essential on the roads around here), chose mags, and the rest happened mostly by accident as I tried to accommodate the wheels. It would've had a BMX-style fork if the ebay seller hadn't sold out at just the wrong moment, but that was because Sheldon had mentioned that they improve steering, and not because I wanted it to be a BMX.

So, yeah - it has been a bit of a slapdash build, but it's fit for the purpose that's intended for it. I think. :roll:

Attachments

• IMGP5583 (Medium).jpg
    IMGP5583 (Medium).jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 908

I've wanted to do this for years, ever since I bought a dropped shopper for 20squid from the lads at pedal revolution in Norwich. The original paint was celeste so someone had fitted it with sweet matching saddle and tape on the drops with genuine Bianchi Decals. We took it to the local BMX Track one night and it was hilarious............thats what got me thinking bmxify
Layback post aero saddle mushroom grips BIG BARS odyssey pitbulls front and rear with matching colour coded levers and cables, hell why not a gyro too.
This bike deserves more detail
props dude
DrJo

Great job, you've done something I've been thinking about building for ages, just for fun and riding through our local park with the kids

That is awesome!
Reminds me of the Kansi F20 from a few years back, a standard Kansi folder with skyways, tan wall tyres and a Skyway paint scheme :) .

About to start a Puch shopper project this afternoon...

Attachments

• PuchOver.jpg
    PuchOver.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 753
Back