ALL BECAUSE OF A PICTURE-A TRIBUTE BUILD FOR A NATIONAL HERO

rc200ti":2j6hg3u7 said:
Just read this thread from start to finish. Sitting here in tears.
Thanks Sinnerman.

I must admit, emotions were running high when i collected it too.

Thanks for taking the time to post, much appreciated.

:cool:

longun":3gghmarn said:
dude, its people like you that make the retrobike ( dare i say it) scene, what it is. re pushing boundaries and resurrecting fond memories for the masses, the skills, patients, ambition and drive and thoughtfulness to be kind enough to share make this the best place ever, whether its browsing online, going on rides or participating in group events.

sinnerman

i tip thy etto skid lid

thankyou

ps- ill attach a pic at his monument ;) ride free

:oops:

Thank you mate, it has been a pleasure to do to be perfectly honest, everybodys enthusiasm has made it more than worth while.

For me it was extra cool to build because it was a BRITISH frame, and BRITISH builder.

lots of factors made this build more than worth all the effort imho.

Thanks for the vote of confidence too......... :cool:

Respect.

Carl.

racer x":2x307alf said:
Awsome i'm sure i remember seeing this bike with him racing at the Malverns with the disc drive, Also was at a racing event racing when it was announced he had paced away ;) that was a bad day, you could have heard a pin drop that day ;)

Awesome bike matey :cool: there are some good bikes for BOTM if it was me i would pull out this time round :LOL:

Thanks mate, i remember it well.... :oops:

But today we are celebrating his life................. :cool:

wadsy":14iwohwf said:
Spot on Carl; in all respects, top job :cool:

Well done mate :D

Thank you Martin.

Hope you are well at the moment bud.... :cool:

Silverfish":1s1l9q1n said:
Yep - awesome build Carl - you have exceeded yourself again! Top job - top bike - great back story - and a fitting tribute.

Big Thanks to you D.

Cool as Always.

:cool:

sinnerman":3evz38gj said:
To be honest Gio, it came to a collective decision in the end, as did most of the spec choice to be fair,

after speaking to a lot of people, no one could give me a definitve answer to a build spec sheet.

Ideally we needed Jim for this, but despite multiple attempts at trying to contact him, i am ashamed to say all my attempts failed.

So to enable the build to complete, a collective opinion on the spec was reached, from peoples memories, photos and pictures from magazines.

As with all PRO/AM racers, specs change quickly, it wears out, it breaks etc..., so we went with the information we have.

the build spec in the non disc wheel pics, are mainly Shimano deore XT, with mavic 231 rims, tioga finishing kit, flite saddle, ODI attack grips, onza bar ends etc, with the Panaracer Smoke and Dart tyre combination.

the disc wheel build, is all but the same, but using Specialized BX23 rims, with black Shimano Deore XT hubs, Grafton cranks with Tioga chainrings, to complement the Tioga finishing kit, and Grafton Brakes.

It was decided that "At best Guess" the tyres would have been either Panaracer Smoke and Dart, and/or Tioga Mud Dawgs....which are pictured mounted to the disc wheel option.

I still have a niggle in me that said, Specialized Ground controls were used, but others disagreed and left me the minority opinion, and with little else to go on, i ran with the general collective opinion.

The collective is what this forum is all about. Picking at peoples memories and knowledge. For what its worth I think you've done a spot on job with the spec mate, it couldn't be any better. At least the tyres are simple to change out if you ever do hear back from Jim.

Good luck for BOTM, not that you'll need it! :)

Carl,

Truely inspiring, and a fitting, honourable tribute to him. much respect to you!

Both me and the Mrs are off this Friday (randomly) and are planning a decent ride somewhere.
I would like to take a trip up to the memorial on the Woodhead, but I know she will want to know exactly how far etc. Does anyone know where abouts or how far along it is, so I can work out the distance from our house?

G

I'm off Friday mid day again, can't remember exactly how far along tho :oops: rek I might divert to a trail or 2 after ;)

Fantastic job.
I loved riding mine and this tread reminded me of that bike, the rides we had and, of course, the great JMC.
Off to the North York Moors to ride some of the trails in "Dirt" soon - it's a bit of an occasional pilgrimage ;)

Latest posts

Back