Closet Roadie

I have been "tractor free" now for six months. I had a relapse a few weeks back but didn't really enjoy it. All that mud and sore hands? No thanks.

hamster":1javlcs1 said:
Sounds entirely like the guys on fully tooled up Specialized full sussers who sneered at my 1994 Lava Dome. :roll:

That because they would be the sort who bought a Specialized full susp to compliment their specialized roadbike and specialized lycra when they went to the specialized concept store.

I have nothing against the majority of cyclists, be they tarmac or mud based, however the sort who go paying big money for mundane branded bikes (specialized- the vauxhall of the cycle world) just because it came from a "concept store" annoy me more than they should.

Them and tokyobike!

JeRkY":ni7n5w1p said:
hamster":ni7n5w1p said:
Sounds entirely like the guys on fully tooled up Specialized full sussers who sneered at my 1994 Lava Dome. :roll:

That because they would be the sort who bought a Specialized full susp to compliment their specialized roadbike and specialized lycra when they went to the specialized concept store.

I have nothing against the majority of cyclists, be they tarmac or mud based, however the sort who go paying big money for mundane branded bikes (specialized- the vauxhall of the cycle world) just because it came from a "concept store" annoy me more than they should.

Them and tokyobike!

That's a bit unfair on Specialized...they've made some pretty damn good bikes. The Enduro in 05 changed things loads and was a fantastic bike, as is the current Demo. I don't think you could say that about any Vauxhall.

Admittedly they're not the sexiest brand out there, but even the limestone of Santa Cruz, Orange and Yeti are pretty mainstream and ten a penny.

I think its the rider not the bike that's bad....I come across loads of idiots on Orange Fives (all the gear, but no technical ability whatsoever).

samsbike":37ba5sm3 said:
Over the last few months I have been commuting to work by bike.

Initially the mtb and then the road bike.

I seem to be getting more and more on the road bike and less off-road, despite the fact there is quite a large woodland area near me.

I am not sure if I am just not getting it or am simply a closet roadie.

I guess I am not really overjoyed about being covered in mud but could it simply be me or the fact that I just don't seem to gel off road?

Yeah me too. . . the garden is water logged let alone the trails

I'm the same, my ratio of road cycling to mountain biking is 6:1 this year. I run and even walk more than I mountain bike now. Just seems so easy to hop on the bike from my front door and head out, rather than have the hassle of taking the bike somewhere to get out. I'd sell my mtb before my road bike.... :oops:

There is a place for both in every cyclists life. And there is nothing wrong with waxing and waning. It's just part of the normal cycle.
I had a road phase a couple of years ago and didn't see dirt for ages, but when winter came round I just stopped. Road biking in the winter is no fun. Last winter I stuck purely to off road and was out every weekend, no matter the weather. Loved it. :D

If you're gonna get wet you might as well get dirty too. :LOL:

EarlofBarnet":yj99c81o said:
I'm the same, my ratio of road cycling to mountain biking is 6:1 this year. I run and even walk more than I mountain bike now. Just seems so easy to hop on the bike from my front door and head out, rather than have the hassle of taking the bike somewhere to get out. I'd sell my mtb before my road bike.... :oops:

Exactly this, I turned down a road ride this morning starting 10 mins pedal from home to go mountainbiking. left at 9.30 got back at 1.30 for maybe an hour and a half pedalling and whelspinning through gloop, then at least half an hour cleaning!

Original post says "commuting to work".

For most people that involves tarmac.

Everything else being equal, a road bike does tarmac faster than an MTB.

Just do it and don't worry what this anachronistic forum has to say about it.....

I commute daily on my Marin IFT '93. I used to do it on slicks, setting new records on Strava (there are sections where I'm unbeatable by proper roadies), but since we've got lighter mornings now I put back the big ADvantages on, leave home about 40 minutes-1 hour earlier and change my 95% tarmac ride to 50/50.
No roadiesease gets me at the moment ;)

I must admit, I just plonked down a pile on a shiny new roadie, never had one before. Hoping to do some road miles to get my fitness up... well thats the plan anyway

Latest posts

Back