Mudguards....do you use them ?

Mangizmo

Raleigh Fan
I have never had a bike without full mudguard fitted (apart from the 2 times I rode the Dartmoor Classic when I owned a Felt road bike). I go out off-road with a bunch of guys now and again and am the only one that uses full fitted mudguards and the only one that doesnt get covered in crud, I have always found the advantages far outweigh any minor niggles. I am genuinely puzzled by this, if you dont use them (understandable on a fast road bike maybe), just wondering why ?

Define off-road. The ones I see on your bikes are downright dangerous on some terrain. On mixed gravel tracks, lanes & roads I've been fine with rear mudguards but had SKS fronts break at their safety mount (designed to break if something gets caught in them). Others, the rattling has been more annoying than any muck I endure. Best ones I had were some modern Bontragers on a now sold 650B gravel bike with sliding stays for adjustment. They don't do them for 26" although they may have fitted. I'll use the mountain bike type & crudcatchers for general riding but for mtbing usually just an enduro style one cable tied to front fork to give stanchions some protection.

You strike me as someone perpetually chuckling at your own wisdom & puzzled by the choices of others. What are the reasons your mates don't use them?

Define off-road. The ones I see on your bikes are downright dangerous on some terrain. On mixed gravel tracks, lanes & roads I've been fine with rear mudguards but had SKS fronts break at their safety mount (designed to break if something gets caught in them). Others, the rattling has been more annoying than any muck I endure. Best ones I had were some modern Bontragers on a now sold 650B gravel bike with sliding stays for adjustment. They don't do them for 26" although they may have fitted. I'll use the mountain bike type & crudcatchers for general riding but for mtbing usually just an enduro style one cable tied to front fork to give stanchions some protection.

You strike me as someone perpetually chuckling at your own wisdom & puzzled by the choices of others. What are the reasons your mates don't use them?
Agreed, all of the above.

I don't really like the look of them on most types of bikes... although i find the aesthetics of certain bikes are greatly improved with mudguards

Therefore I've never used them for MTB.. plus I don't really mind getting covered in mud, i think it adds to the experience but if i'm going to be plastered in mud i make sure i'm coming home afterwards where i can hose the bike off.. peel everything off and chuck it in the wash.

I ride Honjo's on my daily commute for 8 months of the year through necessity, they take a good 4hrs to fit them perfectly but once they're fitted, it only takes 10mins to take them on/off.. taking them off transforms the way my bike looks and i look forward to those dryer months without them... I only have a small oil filled radiator at work for drying clothes and i hate pulling on cold wet clothing in the winter for my ride home so staying as dry as poss is the key.. i bought some waterproof overtrousers but they're not very comfy and i don't like their crunchiness..

The only actual downside to my Honjo's outside my own perception is... i ride a 50cm Nitto straight bar for avoiding wankers in 4WD's who think 30% of the cycle lane is for them...
It's hilly and windy where i live so if i'm nailing it down hill.. if there is a side lane with houses or worst still tall office blocks on either side it channels the wind like a funnel and taking a side gust with narrow bars, the mudguards on the front act like a sail and give my a wobble which i don't like... but it's mainly aesthetics for me because i'm shallow and very superficial 😁

Anyone want a pair of Showers Pass Transit Pants, size Med, half price?.. still crispy and new, with tags, i wore them once (albeit 2yrs ago) there might be a tiny bit of oil from the chain on the hem.

£50 shipped?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Never used or fitted. Non of my collection have the eyelets for them. I don't like the quality of the seat post fit versions. Also never been the bothered about getting wet when off road.

Back