Mudguards....do you use them ?

On the commute folder definitely. No on the MTBs. Having said that these were cheap and worked really well when I was running a 92 Marin on dual-duty:

Other end of scale - brother in law has something like these on his Pashley...

I really like those wooden mudguards but only on the right bikes. When i have seen them in person, i liked how solid and secure they've felt compared to standard plastic ones.

Have full length mudguards on my electric sit up and beg commuter. They are OK(ish). The bike still gets covered in crap and so do my feet.

Have tried on my mountain bikes. I know other friends who use and value them, but I can't get them to work well for me. Not enough coverage to make a meaningful difference, and usually annoying if you have a minor off.

Have then on my DH and they are homemade conversions. the front one comes off in summer but def needed in winter to stop chunks smashing me in the eyes or splattering the goggs, the rear stops gunk onto the rear shock mainly and in the rough stuff sounds like an old clattering machine gun which helps scare ramblers off the trails, but they dont really stop me from getting muddy
sometimes run them on other bikes some not, obs a trials bike or dirt jumper would look quite strange with them ahaha

I never used to have rear guards, but every mtb since around 93 had a Star Wars style crud catcher… my commuter had a crud rear, no rattles , quick to fit stupidly well made, never got them clogged.. now three bikes have both , as the rest are better wheather only ride bikes! Crud all the way for off road. Obviously they need eyelets for these which is probably why they aren’t made anymore.

I have never had a bike without full mudguard fitted (apart from the 2 times I rode the Dartmoor Classic when I owned a Felt road bike). I go out off-road with a bunch of guys now and again and am the only one that uses full fitted mudguards and the only one that doesnt get covered in crud, I have always found the advantages far outweigh any minor niggles. I am genuinely puzzled by this, if you dont use them (understandable on a fast road bike maybe), just wondering why ?
No, but I should.
I got soaked both ways on my commute to work yesterday. It is on my mind to fit some to my (new) commuter build, soon I promise!

Back