Mudguards....do you use them ?

SKS Veloflexx 65's fitted. Too tight for the 2.2" tyres I had on - depth not width. As it's my commuter & only goes on easy tracks & a bit of road I wasn't to saddened to fit some 1.9's with plenty clearance. Unusually for mudguards in my experience the front was steadier than the rear so I braced it further with reusable cable ties against the rack stay. Both solid now. Full test tomorrow. Might get some for the ebike if they're as good as they seem. Disc only.

View attachment 727540
Yep they look good on that bike with what looks like good clearance, they should be ok.......I like the bike

These have proved to be rock solid. No rattle at all. I got a pair cheap on ebay so got them for the ebike. I didn't need the rear as I have a mtb one cable tied to the rack. I used a cut off from the spare rear to extend the front to give more protection for the motor.

View attachment 737666
That seatpost looks interesting, how effective is it ?

That seatpost looks interesting, how effective is it ?
Pretty good. Better than the USE one on it before which is now knackered. The bike is just shy of 50lb so you feel every rut & pothole. I got it 2nd hand here & updated the 2 elastomers for my weight. I'm thinking of replacing one with one of the spongier elastomers that came with it to see if a bit plusher is better.

Pretty good. Better than the USE one on it before which is now knackered. The bike is just shy of 50lb so you feel every rut & pothole. I got it 2nd hand here & updated the 2 elastomers for my weight. I'm thinking of replacing one with one of the spongier elastomers that came with it to see if a bit plusher is better.
I just use a low cost LOOK post, not bad for the price but often wondered how good a post like that is, I have recently taken to an old style sprung saddle off road (£10.95) and its really rather good, very un-cool though
saddle.png

I've used mudguards, I have some fitted to a bike right now for commuting in the rain, but I really don't like them. I don't like the way they look, I don't like the way they rattle, I don't like how they get in the way for some maintenance jobs, I don't like fitting or unfitting them.

But I do love not having dirty gutter filth sprayed directly into my arse crack. And there's the rub, they work, and not just for keeping me cleaner and dryer but they obviously protect some areas of the bike, when riding predominately older steel beasts that's got to be a good thing.

My current commuter is a 26er converted for 700c with wide 1.8 tyres fitted, there was no space either at the crown or between the chainstays for mudguards and I tried a few types, so I had to modify some SKS. Basically chopped bits off and just kept what would I could.

Last edited:
20230203_114418.jpg

My mountain bikes usually have these short mudguards on the front. Keeps enough **** off your face to make winter manageable. Dont really care about the rear to be honest apart from gravel bike I have one of those long seatposted mounted flat style ones.

I personally used to not ride with them purely for aesthetic reasons. Then my commute became much longer and I embraced them. I like them tight fitting to the wheels though, again for asthetic reasons.

On a related note, i came across these today. They have sold some surely which is mind boggling but the rest of their stuff is equally pricey.

1706546748303.png

Back