hmm .. 1 reason why cantilever+v-brakes are better than disc

And a canti and a woman ?

Tricky to get working properly and then quickly goes out of adjustment … ;-)

Hhhmmm, cantis don’t work as well when they are wet though …

WD :D

ps : I wonder if we are going to get in trouble ...

WD Pro":1towr6m7 said:
And a canti and a woman ?

Tricky to get working properly and then quickly goes out of adjustment … ;-)

Hhhmmm, cantis don’t work as well when they are wet though …

WD :D

ps : I wonder if we are going to get in trouble ...

I like the cut of your jib WD

You have to be good with your hands to satisfy the demands of cantis in the preliminary stages before the actual 'ride' begins...

Novices might seek instruction on proper technique...

Oh god what the hell am I saying

During my all to brief stint in 'the industry', hydraulic disc brakes were the most frequent issue with customers. When the warm weather hit in March, we had loads of bikes with expanded fluid and jammed on calipers.

Leaky seals were an issue, expanding pistons and the most common: oil saturated pads where the customer allowed spray lube to contaminate them.

New bikes went out perfect, customer puts bike in car, bangs disc, customer comes back a few days later complaining if rubbing or squeaky brakes because they've bent the disc or not refitted the wheel properly.

I could go on.

I am happy with my own brakes whatever they may be as they are set up properly, unfortunately not many can be bothered to do that.

Personally I think this was the high point in brake evolution:

p6280028_370.jpg

Just need a frame with seatstay u mounts and a fork to match - only ones I can think of were Avalanche team and one of the Rocky Mountains.

That thing belongs in a museam, not on a bike.

In all seriousness, this V-brake+canti vs disc thing can go on forever. However even the best set of brakes won't save you if you don't know how (and when) to use them.

I really hate setting up canti's :x 10mm spanner plus an allen key to hold it straight.Tighten up only to find its moved :evil:
A nightmare :shock:
imho the system on V's has to be the easiest to set up and adjust,one allen key at the back and very adjustable cups to get it into the correct position. :cool:
Discs are also a pain :? but not as difficult to set up as canti's,with discs its getting the pad centred and square to the rotor thats the real difficulty,though there is a tool/gizmo/dooda that i think will work quite well#

#Something akin to a double wedge that slides between the rotor and the pads on both sides to even the distance :? .Working on given thickness's of the rotor and new pads.
Still in the idea stage :oops:

Back