Getting in shape. Advice needed!

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Morning all,
Few weeks back i decided to get into shape. I was about one and a half stone overweight but reasonably strong in the saddle. I figured that if I lost that weight and toned up a little I would enjoy my time on the bike more and feel a little less knackered on longer rides.

Plan was, cut out the junk- no more Fish and Chips, Burgers, Kebabs at work, no chocolate or soft drinks and cook more healthily at home- out with the rich Pastas, home made curries, steaks etc. I have been eating baked fish, new potatoes, grilled chicken, salad, steamed veg etc and its doing the trick, and suprisingly tasty too. In 10 days I have lost three quarters of a stone. Happy days. BUT.......

Last few rides out- long moorland ride at weekend and a few hours around the hills of Thrunton last night, I have felt tired, lethargic, weak and have riden terribly. I just lack energy and stamina, struggle on the climbs and even my riding skills have taken a dive- my line choice and balance has all gone to shit. I also really ache the next day. Off the bike I feel great, definate spring in my step (except the day after a ride where i feel like I have been hit by a bus).

What i need to know is what i should be eating/doing to still lose the weight and get into shape but still have the energy and drive to ride well without feeling rubbish during and after.?

Don't want to come across as a ponce with the diet thing and its not vanity, just want to be as fit as the people I ride with. I feel like eating a Kebab for breakfast this morning and selling the bikes to go back motor racing- much easier!

Cheers
Si

Make sure youre getting enough carbs to provide the energy for your activity, and enough protein to maintain and support muscles etc.

Lose weight through activity, and normal calorific intake, dont starve your body, if you see what I mean.

fingers":3630vd3f said:
Make sure youre getting enough carbs to provide the energy for your activity, and enough protein to maintain and support muscles etc.

Lose weight through activity, and normal calorific intake, dont starve your body, if you see what I mean.

Thanks for that, so.... I need something high in protein and carbs, but low in fat and keep within recomended calorific intake?.

I skipped my home ecc. class at school (and most of my other lessons :oops: ) so what types of food have those specifics?

Cheers
Si

Interesting thread, I'm watching this as some one in a similar situation, alright on the bike but could stand to lose a bit from the waist.

As a wise someone once told me "It's all about calories in/calories out" I guess this means the more shit you eat, the more you've got to work it off. I work with a guy who runs marathons, does triathlons etc he doesn't adhere to the 'healthy' eating lifestyle a great deal, but overcomes it by training regularly. Remember those aches and pains are probably your body adjusting to not having a ready supply of sugary fatty calories to burn off, over time I'm sure it'll get easier.

I lost just over a stone (from 13st 6 to 12 st 3) by riding about 120 miles per week over the last 4 months. I've been eating normally but have cut down quite a bit of booze.

I ride with a local club (which is great for keeping the interest high) and doing some TTs (good for balls-out knackering punishment regardless of fitness levels).

At the start I decided that rather than chasing a target weight, I'd target a performance level and accept whatever my body did to achieve that. I started off averaging 17mph for an hour and now I'm up to 21mph with an eventual target of 23. The advantage of this is that it's easier to see the results (i.e. going faster or further) than it is to see weight loss. I've stopped losing weight now but I still seem to be getting stronger.

I've also found that energy gels and drinks work well to improve performance (although they do provide copious calories so will reduce fat burn).

Overall, if you want to lose weight I'd ride 150 miles per week at around 16-17 mph. If you want to get really fit I'd aim to ride around 80 mpw but as fast as you can*.

* disclaimer: I'm no expert on anything.

Hey Fat Boy.... :LOL: :LOL:

No, seriously....I WAS in the same boat as you. Back in March I was past 15st, had gone to 36" waist :oops: :oops: and struggling to keep up with the Beds & Herts RetroBike Massive so I figured something needed to be done. Last year I was off for six months with three broken ribs (2 x lots of 3 months) and I suffered badly.

I ain't young (43 soon) so getting fit wasn't the same as BITD. It's all about maths, knowing your food groups and watching the TYPE of food you eat.

I stopped: biscuits, cakes, crips, sweets, chocolate, Guinness, soft drinks, (basically all the shit).
I switched from Special K (thought it was good for you....it isn't) to Weetabix (0.3grams of fat), semi skimmed milk, bottled water. Stopped sugar in tea then went looking at the labels on EVERYTHING I bought at Asda.....check out the fat content in some stuff :shock: :shock: :shock:

Then I got on the Turbo Trainer every other night and did small Intervals to start with (5 up, 30 soild, 5 down) and upped my road rides. After a few weeks my fitness picked up and my RetroBike buddies started to notice an improvement.

Now my road rides are around 30 miles and with some heart attack sized hills and my quads are growing by the week, im back to a 32" waist, am 13.5 st and have dropped three bra sizes :LOL:
My lungs aren't great (ex smoker with a girlfriend who still smokes for England) but my legs are getting very strong. I am having to put much more effort in to get below 13.5st but there's still some flab to go. I ordered and fitted into some RetroBike Bib Shorts in Medium recently so i'm heading in the right direction. Like someone else says dont starve yourself but do cut down on dinner portions and look carefully at what's on your plate (my missus has been a great help with this).

I still drink red wine and have the occasional Guinness but all the stuff I cut out is still cut out........it can be done dude, it just takes time ;)

I cut out the bread at breakfast in exchange for fruit an fibre cereal.
Dumped the lunch-time sandwiches for microwave rice pouches.
Started trying harder on the bike.
Began the 100 push up challenge.
I lost a bit of weight to begin with but have replaced that with muscle and am getting slimmer and faster, if no lighter. And it is saving me money.

carry on with curry - just cut out the fatty bits - they can be very healthy as you can monitor the ingredients.

Just cut out the naan.

I've lost and kept off half a stone just by eating less crap. I'm now disgustingly fit but about to go on holiday.....

Firstly, don't got mad, losing weight slowly is the way to go as you need to let your body adapt. But all said above is good advice - cutting out processed crappy food is more than half the battle.
I'd add: don't eat between meals.

If riding to burn fat, low intensity riding eats fat and doesn't dent sugars - so it's the way to go.

Also ride a singlespeed...it forces you out of the comfort zone and riding harder...

Back