Getting in shape. Advice needed!

the heat . the intense unrelenting heat bearing down on me in my black tshirt and jeans because any other colour would be filthy in 5mins and i hate shorts :LOL:

i hate the mix of sweat and dirt

i hate the shadows in the woods that confuse the eye and hide rocks in complete darkness or intense sunlight

the flys . around my sweaty/muddy face

the summer warriors who appear at the merest hint of sun and have the same coordination as a new born lamb . often the summer warrior includes familyplus because summer warrior cant be seen without the wife , her sister , children belonging to both the wife and the sister , an estranged mate to goad summer warrior and someones nan who didnt really want to come out but was cohearsed into it and a dog

ill stick to the chilly solitude of a dark winter :LOL:

Basically Si,just ride ride ride! I've cut back quite dramatically on mileage this year due to a demanding 2yr old so have started riding to work,easy spin there,then either one full effort all the way home or 3-5 bursts,then I try to get a couple of 4hr rides in at the weekend,not always possible but...
When the weather turns I also use the dreaded turbo trainer to keep some speed in the legs,just 45mins a day,with different sessions every day,really makes a difference to fitness.
Of course I'm not as fit as when I was doing 300miles a week but I'm suprisingly not that far off :D

Bought a Turbo Trainer today and a computer thing, hoping to do 20 miles a night to start with (with rest on Fridays). Been busy loading some podcasts onto my iPhone to break the boredom. Will give it a go.

Si

Vary it too.

Sometimes spin steady for a long time, sometimes do intervals. You wanna work on all areas, not just riding for 20 minutes. And have a rest day if youre starting an intense course.

(feel free to ignore me - Im a fat ole barsteward now...)

Sometimes spin steady for a long time, sometimes do intervals. You wanna work on all areas,

kinda like cycling used to be when you could just go for a ride with no agenda and just do whatever :LOL:

I pop in and out of shape every year. What works for me is HIT! High intensity training! i.e run/ride 100yrds, 60yrds at a slower pace. Then back on it for 100yrds! then repeat until you cant see! You burn a shed load of calories that way. I'm in need to sort myself out and this always works for me! Fairly quick results and i dont change my diet other than more fluids... mainly beer :shock:

Have a peek at videojug.com all explained (life explained!)

Awkward Kid":2y86txaq said:
I pop in and out of shape every year. What works for me is HIT! High intensity training! i.e run/ride 100yrds, 60yrds at a slower pace. Then back on it for 100yrds! then repeat until you cant see! You burn a shed load of calories that way. I'm in need to sort myself out and this always works for me! Fairly quick results and i dont change my diet other than more fluids... mainly beer :shock:

Have a peek at videojug.com all explained (life explained!)

Kinda like what I was saying

BITD I used to train on a heavy bike with DH tyres. Ride along the road, look at the telegraph poles. I used to sprint one, spin one, sprint one etc, brilliant way to train.

Also - At least one day should be skills training.

This means having fun, practice speed jumps, drop offs, hops etc, riding for fun; the most important day :cool:

And on sundays, go do a mixed xc/road ride for hours and hours...

Dr S":61s1vbhk said:
How can you avoid summer Perry, its everywhere?
Si

He should have been here this July and August - never above 18 degrees, some rain most days, hardly any sunshine.
It's been a crap summer, just like last year (although I'm sure that Perry would have loved it..... :roll: ).

It's because I dared to take those Trailrakers off halfway through June.

Back