Getting in shape. Advice needed!

Si, you've lost far too much too quickly. Your body is starting to think your starving and its instinct is to preserve itself. Unfortunately this means storing fat, slowing metabolism and wasting muscle for an energy source. 2lbs a week is a reasonable loss. Start making small changes, get your 5 a day(minimum) drink pleanty of water, cut down on booze/currys/sweets, have a big breakfast, replenish carbs within 30 mins after excercise. Simple lifestyle changes are best rather than diets. The trick is to enjoy the excercise you do and have treats now and then, if you do pay the piper the next day.

i agree with fingers . the body is an engine and needs to be treated as such

fill it with the wrong stuff all the time and its going to run shite

carbs before . protein after is it in the very basic sense . your not really eating the wrong stuff but possibly at the wrong times

what you ate yesterday is whats fuelling you today

dont worry about the weight just think quicker . will what your eating make you quicker ? if not you could do without it

i dont eat red meat , i replace that protein with peanuts after a ride . the salt stops any muscle ache too . i never feel sore after a ride . 2 hours after some exertion is the bodys best window of recovery

smoking is your biggest limiting factor . think of your lungs as a filter that is losing you performance before you even think about the engine that is the body . ive started doing it again but when i stopped in a month there was a big increase in quickness

hamster":2d06dqlg said:
Also ride a singlespeed...it forces you out of the comfort zone and riding harder...

I used to think this but tend to disagree nowadays. I used to ride SS for work everyday and on occasional weekends but found my legs only good for spinning or grinding out a gear. A switch to a geared bike Mon-Fri has left me much more able across the range.

hamster":hummvu7j said:
Also ride a singlespeed...it forces you out of the comfort zone and riding harder...

I used to think this but tend to disagree nowadays. I used to ride SS for work everyday and on occasional weekends but found my legs only good for spinning or grinding out a gear. A switch to a geared bike Mon-Fri has left me much more able across the range.

Some interesting advice, thanks a lot.

A few things. Although not the fittest or fastest I could hold my own on the strength thing- there are some decent muscles under the middle age spread/Beer gut. I just lacked stamina on longer climbs and rides- something that is probably caused by diet and smoking. I also felt my extra weight on jumps and stuff as i always plummeted back to earth when the skinny lads flew.
I have been putting the miles in- couple of nights a week of around an hour- 90 mins at high intensity, two hours a week up in Thrunton which is pretty heavy going and have been riding to work and back on my SS 6 days a week (about 30 mins a day but again at high intensity). Also been doing the longer 20-30 mile rides with NE group once a month. Its not much compared to some but couple with that my job which is not desk based and keeps me on my feet all day, I would say I'm getting a reasonable level of excersise. I've been doing this level of riding for around 2 years now.
I don't think I can fit much more riding in due to work, family etc. so thought the diet would take things further and get rid of a little more weight. As i said, i'm feeling better in my day to day life, but have started to struggle on the bike again. Its the aches the next day too- something I have not had for some time.

What should I be eating the day before a long ride then to fuel up without putting on weight? What about these magic powders that you add to water for use on and after rides?

Thanks again

Si

Carbs the day before the ride to load your body with glycogen. Protein after to repair. But energy is needed to use the protein for repair too.

(I used to do this when I was a 13st racer...)

Its all about balance, dont lose too much too quickly. If you starve your body, by eating less and working hard, you will struggle. Enegy levels drop.

Fats and sugars have their place too.

And plenty of water.

i was just thinking about the water . are you drinking enough while your out ? it has been rather warm lately . i ride shite in the heat so generally avoid summer for that reason

perry":2e5vpwhh said:
i was just thinking about the water . are you drinking enough while your out ? it has been rather warm lately . i ride shite in the heat so generally avoid summer for that reason

maybe not as much as I should pre-ride, but plenty whilst underway.

Also, beer has some water in it. Like few of those on the way home, nudge nudge.

How can you avoid summer Perry, its everywhere? Would like to learn how to avoid winter if at all possible. :LOL:

thanks again for all the words of wisdom

cheers
Si

perry":6ac08eq7 said:

what is it you have a problem with?

Back