Suspension fork advice needed - what fork would you fit to..

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, I have a 1997 Marin Mount Vision which I’m going to do a resto mod on and I’d like some suggestions on a fork for it.
I just sold my B-17 which was the same size (15.5”) and that had a set of RST Hi5’s on it. The 450mm a-c seemed to really suit that bike, it made the riding position and the handling of the bike perfect in my eyes.
I’d like to recreate the same feel on the M.V but maybe lighter/more modern.
Can anyone suggest a suitable fork to achieve this? I’d like the same 450mm a-c, 100mm travel would be about right. Ideally v-brake mounts but I could do a cable operated disc front if needs be..
Budget would be up to £150 for some decent performing forks.
Thanks in advance. :)

Hi, typical suspension forks of the --> 1997 haven't had 100m travel, but rather just 60mm.
Most later 100mm forks had a axel to fork length of more than 450mm (rather 470-480mm).
Maybe a compromise would be a SID before 2002 with 63, or 80mm travel or a Manitou Skareb or later R7 with 80mm,
both perform well in my opinion, are still lightweight and aren't a lot higher than the requested 450mm.
An early Bomber is fun to ride too and 460-ish long, just a bit more heavier.

Are you looking for air or coil? I've had good experience with both fox 32 (float or vanilla) and rockshox Reba and Sid's of the 32mm stanchion variety. It is arguably harder or more expensive to find them with v mounts, but by no means impossible and if you are patient you should find some reasonably priced.

If you want to play with travel, fox have Talas, rs have U-turn.

I think some manitou forks are worth a look with v mounts, magura also.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The MV has less travel and designed for less than the B17 ?
Don't forget that rear end, would high at the front mess it up.

But early 00's Fox/BomberAir/SID ?

or find some modern 1/8" forks and see what they are like. Probably lower end BUT then that's compared to modern forks., not 20 year old forks.

The MV has less travel and designed for less than the B17 ?
Don't forget that rear end, would high at the front mess it up.

But early 00's Fox/BomberAir/SID ?

or find some modern 1/8" forks and see what they are like. Probably lower end BUT then that's compared to modern forks., not 20 year old forks.
Thanks for the advice so far, I’m looking in to Fox 32’s and some of the other options suggested.
In response to the above - The MV came with Psylo XC forks fitted which are around the 420mm mark a/c. This seemed to give a traditional retro head down, bum up stance. I was hoping the two Marin frames would be similar geo and the additional 30mm at the front would lift it without screwing things up too much, giving me a similar ride to the B-17.. but please do tell me if I’m wrong on that.
Thanks. 👍

but please do tell me if I’m wrong on that.
You can find out for us. :)

I just remember Fox being a fork many fitted to 'modernise' late 90's retrobikes back in the end of the 00's start of the 10's as they where better than the rest. Bombers started to take over on here as people could buy parts easily for bombers but not fox.

Back