Memory. Any psychologists here?

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Why is it that I can't remember what I did at work a few days ago, or what Mrs Muz told me earlier maybe.
But when I put on some music I haven't heard for years,maybe decades, I know the words , and sing along happily? :?

Anyone else?

Mike

Re:

Often we forget what we're not that interested in - such as work and possibly even what you're wife has said to you( we're you listening?!)
Music / smells etc can stick in your head a lot longer because you've heard the song more than once , smelt things a few times and associate. Them with other things including emotions.
Memory will often be crap if you haven't had enough sleep, your'e under stress etc...
My other half is a clin psychologist and I'm an occupational therapist and my mum recently passed away after a battle with Alzheimer's so memory is on my mind a lot these days!

Re: Re:

oldmuthariley":wh4jjm3y said:
Often we forget what we're not that interested in - such as work and possibly even what you're wife has said to you( we're you listening?!)
Music / smells etc can stick in your head a lot longer because you've heard the song more than once , smelt things a few times and associate. Them with other things including emotions.
Memory will often be crap if you haven't had enough sleep, your'e under stress etc...
My other half is a clin psychologist and I'm an occupational therapist and my mum recently passed away after a battle with Alzheimer's so memory is on my mind a lot these days!

My sincere condolences to you :(

Thanks for the insight, from the inside, so to speak.

I don't get enough sleep I suppose. Although I did nod off after a hot bike ride today!

Mike

Misty water coloured memories..........

I have to remember I'm not invincible any more.

Re:

Thanks - sorry didn't mean to derail the thread!
Power naps and snoozes are one of the best things ever in my books :cool:

Re:

Isn't setting words to music a good way to remember things, I mean isn't it the rhythm or something? So it makes sense that we remember songs, plus as said above, you'll have heard a favourite several times over, so bound to know it off by heart....

And short term/long term memory, we filter out what we don't need, surely? And we wouldn't want to forget the words to a decent tune... :cool:

Re:

That's ok , it is relevent to this subject too.

I often have a nap during my lorry tacho break

The History Man":1tz4yl0s said:
Misty water coloured memories..........

I have to remember I'm not invincible any more.

I'm constantly reminded of that, big fella

Mike

Mike Muz 67":bx1v4vbd said:
Why is it that I can't remember what I did at work a few days ago, or what Mrs Muz told me earlier maybe.
But when I put on some music I haven't heard for years,maybe decades, I know the words , and sing along happily? :?

Anyone else?

Mike

Yip, same here :?

Re:

What was the question again?

*scrolls to top of page*

Oh, yeah, me too.

A good tip is to remember things as if it were a story, somehow your brain can relate bits of information if they have a common connection, I guess music if a bit like storytelling.

Back