My Diet - some advice needed

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

As a couple of you know i have been dieting for about 10 weeks and have lost 2 stone. I am 6 feet tall and now have a slim build (just about). I saw the pics of J. Clarkson and the 2 stone i lost came off my keg which was almost as unsightly as his. It would seem that the only place i put weight on is my keg - and my build means that it looks bad, nevermind the issue with clothes.

Anyway, back on track, I am wondering how to remain at my present weight. I lost the weight by not eating rubbish and i think i can manage to keep doing that but will this mean i continue to lose weight? Any ideas?

Thanks all,

Richard

Re:

It's all about calories in and calories out.

By cutting out the crap... usually sugar, your body is now shedding the excess fat, and will continue to do so until you reach a point where the food you are eating matches your bodies needs. If you eat more than you need, then back on the weight goes.

The is a very VERY simplistic explanation that my (nutritionalist) wife has just given me.

In my case I went from 82kg to 75kgs by exercising more / harder, but I don't eat breakfast on a regular basis, have a very small lunch and then a decent main meal. I also carbo load prior to riding and at present I am ramping up my riding having been pretty ill from November to January.

In addition I don't drink alcohol and have never smoked.

Remember alcoholic drinks have a very high calorific content so eating well but drinking a lot will not help weight loss.

Re:

I am sure you will get lots of good advice on here there are a few 'healthies' onboard , my only piece of advice and is to not see things as being on a diet, more of small lifestyle changes, and I would encourage eating breakfast even if its fruit/cereal/poached egg. And find the fruit/veg you like and graze on that during the day.

I am pretty healthy, non-meat eating, t total, don't smoke, regular exercise but cant help eating cheese :)

And my best advice is get more sleep, cos the late night munchies are pretty relentless :!:

And ride as much as possible, nearly every day I go out in the morning for a 30 min blast through the woods at 7:00.

Thanks all, very interesting indeed. Small changes seems to be the way to maintain my current weight.

Re sleep - i have to laugh a bit at that. Right at this moment I have been up since 3 pm yesterday and i won't be getting sleep until tonight - probably about 30 hours up - and that is normal - the joys of shift work!

Thanks all, any more hints appreciated,

Richard

Tell us some more about your shift work you poor thing.

Hang on just digging out the Mantovani.

Re:

I feel for you, I have worked shifts the food I consumed working nights was awful, could eat a cucumber sandwich and a banana at 3 am :(

I am ok until the kids are in bed at about 9pm, but then the biscuit barrel calls my name :oops:

Diet has been my Achilles heel for many years. I've maintained a lean 250-255lbs though copious exercise alone, but after pressure from woman, who's a decade younger than me and doesn't want me to kark it, I finally took myself to task. I'm still not brilliant, but I'm much improved. The most profound change has been ditching alcohol, fizzy drinks etc. I allow myself a cup of coffee first thing, after that I drink only water, mainly the very nice Pellegrino. I must've dodged thousands of calories from the alone.

I did it in the nick of time too. Due to illness I've spent 2 months totally idle, mainly on my back, and my weight remained pretty much static at 254. I dread to think how much id have porked on my old eating regime.

Just starting to get back into exercise on a phased approach. Just walking at the moment and soon hoping to start gentle cycling next week. A few weeks and I'm hoping to revisit brother iron, sister steel.

Re:

Interesting with the snacking; I sometimes snack late afternoon, as I'm often home from work and it's a few hours before dinner, but I am very careful what I eat, always considering whether it is sugar, fat, protein or what combination. I also consider what / if to eat if I'm going for a ride that day.

I never eat in the evening after dinner.

Back