Hello from a new member and bit of fork advice needed.

Eddyhaddock

Retro Newbie
Hi, thanks for letting me join. I used to do a lot of mtb but cancer surgery in 2019 means I can't risk a fall these days - I was very good at that!

My bike, well not sure if you'd class it exactly as retro, but it's certainly heading that way. Its an On One ti 456, one of the early Lynksey frames, about 16 years old I think. Because I can't mtb anymore I've converted it into a hybrid. I'm currently thinking of fitting an exotic carbon fork and selling the Revelation and a spare Pike that was the original spring fork I put on build. Does this sound like a good idea or would I be best to keep the original fork as its same age as build?

I also have a nice Hawk 'Trak Attak' in the family, probably from around 1990.
20230410_151456.jpg

Atb

Ed

A carbon fork will bring down the weight a lot, and you don't need all that suspension travel on a hybrid, I think? Although I would always prefer a steel or aluminium fork, because I distrust carbon, but that's just me. Nice bike, but strictly speaking it should be in the 1998+ section:

Looking at it again 390 might be too drastic 400 to 410 would help with that rather extreme angle and make it a bit more nimble with the skinnier tyres

Looking at it again 390 might be too drastic 400 to 410 would help with that rather extreme angle and make it a bit more nimble with the skinnier tyres
That fork is 120 or 150mm travel, you would need more than 410 I think? 450?

Last edited:
That fork is 120 or 150mm travel I think, you would need more than 410 I think? 450?
If he wants to keep the extremely slack angle yes, my point is that he could make it far more responsive by lowering the A2C, if he wishes to use it as a hybrid commuter type thing.

Looking at it again 390 might be too drastic 400 to 410
the 456 was designed around a 140mm fork - so something with about 440-450mm should be a decent fit taking into account sag.

I've had a couple of exotic carbon forks and the quality is pretty good

Is your head tube straight or tapered? I happen to have a nice exotic monocoque carbon fork I'd love to use, but don't have a suitable frame (tapered).

I've got carbon forks on a few bikes and never had any issues, exotic, pace and others. They certainly reduce weight and are nice and rigid, yet compliant.

Back