Teenage dream; 93 San Andreas, prostop & suspenders.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I'm sure I'm not alone; MBUK. Paul 'Smiffy' Smith. Mountain Cycle San Andreas. Suspenders. Prostop.

Whether he wanted it to be or not, that bike was Iconic. It's among a select few that, as an impressionable teen, hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. Utterly unique among all the skinny steel of the time, and still regarded as a usable rear sus design.

file.php

And so it came to pass that in a weird turn of events, I was heading down to Brighton to buy a bike from the designer of one of my other teenage fantasies - See my lotus thread where I met Chris Hornzee jones; Lotus designer and all round top bloke :)

He was selling the San Andreas to make room for other bikes, and whilst he was sad to see it go, he was happy that it was going to be ridden and appreciated!

So, Looking it over, it doesn't need much work. Tyres are sadly shot, front and rear shocks need work, and the brakes need tweaking - the rear currently has a set of M900 cantis, but all the parts are there to fit rear prostops too.

It's not the first model like Smiffys (his was a 92), but this is a 93, and is actually in superb condition. Not much will be changed, it's covered in lovely period correct kit (Syncros, M735, pace bars etc.).

So, a pic on the day I picked it up, with plenty more to come!

Re:

Wow that is a great find!
I love these San Andreas, but is so hard to find an original early one.
So far ahead of there time, it was like an UFO in that time :D

Re:

very cool, the old original ones look sooooo much better then the newer ones, would love to ride one in anger down cutgate :twisted:

As she sits last night;

Rear shock (risse Terminator) serviced and sweeeeeet.
Suspenders are in great working condition... except the elastomers. Doh.
Prostops are fitted, Bled with fresh mineral oil, and although the rear needs a little more work, they're working fine!

So, She needs a polishing, although the Mountain Cycle handbook (that Chris also had!) recommends a rub down with a scotch pad!

Anyways, here's some gratuitous pics :)

Highlights so far;

The frame is in fantastic condition!
NOTHING IS SEIZED!!!
The way-ahead of it's time front thru-axle.
Mavic 261 rims are immaculate!
Mavic headset, Pace sub 130 bars.

Bad parts;

The saddle is as comfy as a dose of clap.
I always have, and still hate the SS7s.
Bar ends gotta go.
Need to sort the elastomers - 30mm travel is not enough.
Needs some fancier cranks...

Love it :)

Remember this bike fondly as a teen, a real treasure, will look forward to this tweek and build with great interest... :)

Back