Overbury's Pioneer - restoration

Malcmck

Old School Hero
Hi retro bikers

I have always like British steel mountain bike I have a 1997 clockwork and a 1998 p7 both with pace forks

But I fancied something else so I picked this up
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=308651

The frame is know at the bead blasters where it is being glass beaded then clear lacquered, I have been warned it might not work and the lacquer may turn grey :facepalm: but we will have to wait and see if it does not work I will paint it white

I will update this thread over the coming winter

Bye for now

Malc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,633
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out as I have a fillet brazed frame that needs some paintwork. I thought this might be a good look. :cool:

Re:

Watching this with interest.
I went down a similar route with the finish on a frame that I made myself... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=304282

I tried a polished then lacquered finish, but the lacquer wouldn't bind due to the high polish.
I then tried a clear powder-coat. This took to the finish ok, but it isn't very resiliant.
I've already got a couple of chips, and there are starting to rust underneath.
This again is because the powder hasn't keyed to the polished frame properly.
I'm toying with getting it bead blasted and then powder coated again to see how this fares.
The next stage will be to bite the bullet and get it painted!

Re:

Thanks for the comments I am also looking forward to collecting the frame next Friday, will post pictures

I not sure it will work long term might end up with a rusty rat look :D

Have to say I doff my cap to anyone that makes there own frame

All the best malc

Re:

Any update on this?
I dropped 3 frames off at the bead blasters today...

2 of them are just for paint removal so I can look at a couple of repairs, but my modern bike is also being clear powder coated again.

Re: Re:

Malcmck":8w13hff8 said:
No been too busy with work to pick up the frame will try and get it this week.

Sorry

No need to apologise!
I'm just burning up the last of my leave this week so had some time to get these frames off.
I look forward to seeing yours

Re:

ha ha i am also pretty keen to see it done,

what type of blasting media are they doing on your raw frame?
Malc

Back