not another Yo Eddy build thread!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i had been looking for a Yo for a while, but with most of my retro fleet they are pretty inexpensive brands, by that i mean usually sub £150 for a frame or i had bought bikes to get a frame and then sold the parts because i wanted to go a different way. this made me paranoid about buying a Yo. they were by my standards silly money, £500+ for most of them, i love the retro stuff but the big money tends to go on modern stuff that gets used alot more, i couldn't justify that sort of price on an older frame. when NorthernDave advertised his 1996(?) Buckshaver a couple of years ago at £200 for the frame i jumped on it as i figured that it might well be the cheaper brother of the Yo but either way it was a Fat, it meant i could try the brand at not daft money, once i discovered i liked the way the Buckshaver rode it made sense to then consider a Yo if one came up at sensible money because by then £500ish doesn't seem so bad if you know you will like it.

then it did, a familiar seller, Northern Dave :D there was no need for excess questions, i knew the buck fitted, it made sense that if Dave fitted the Buck and i fitted the buck then his Yo would also fit me, it's sort of convenient to buy off the same seller, it gives confidence in the sale.

we met up in london last friday, the 29/11, near where he works, money and metal was exchanged, quick chat and off we went our separate ways, on the way back me and my mate stopped in a bike shop, Bespoke (a super high end place, with a doorbell to get in!) next thing i knew there were 2 shop assistants asking loads of questions about my shiny green new toy! i felt smug. :D

i sort of have a plan but i think i will take my time with this build, sort of. the condition of the frame is pretty good, there is a dint on the toptube and there are alot of scratches and some of those sort of spidery bubbles under the paint in a few places, the pics i think make it look better than it is up close, that said i am very happy with the price for the condition and also expected the sort of condition that it is, i mean it's nearly 20years old, it's gonna have patina.

most of you will know that i like to get stuff pretty mint, this means looking at the possibility of a paint job down the line, i currently can't afford it though because i have been made redundant. if and when i can afford it i intend to do either the same paint job or another similar Fat paint job, definitely not an aquafade . . . . boring . . . . you've all done it to death (IMO), sort of a shame as i love it but no, definitely not an aquafade.

the parts build is gonna be a combination of stuff i currently have and hopefully some careful buying here and there, i would prefer some suspension forks but i have a pair of rc31's on the way, also some x517 citron rims and some xtr here already aswel as some middleburn cranks. the colour combo of this stuff looks a bit dodgy but we'll see how it goes along the way

here's some pics :D

P1120699 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120701 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120703 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120704 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120705 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120707 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120709 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120711 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120719 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120720 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120721 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120723 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120725 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120729 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120731 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120732 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120733 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120736 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120738 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120740 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120741 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120744 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120745 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120747 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120748 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120749 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120750 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120751 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Ha!

We do love a Yo on here.

Argos are just finishing my Aquafade job and yes I do know what you mean about the relative commoness but for the few minutes each day I check out this site vs. the hopeful lifetime of ownership when I go down to my shed I'll be stoked to know the blue green mash up is waiting for me and won't be too fussed it isn't the only fat in those colours.

I really don't mean that as a challenge to your point, this stuff is so subjective.

I'd love to do a custom Fat some day...

yeah don't get me wrong i like the aquafade but i think the best thing to do would be to go original if and when i do repaint. i can't remember where or when but the idea of getting an aquafade done now reminds me of when someone said they went into Roberts and asked for a dogs bolx, and he said, "black and white by any chance? yes . . . it does still ooze thing over the carpet . . .sigh" (FYI the oooze thing bit is what justin loretz of MBUK said about the bike after testing it)

i just think it's been done alot now, some good, some not so good, also people are very quick to point out when it's not quite perfect/Fat enough.

we'll see what happens

It's a tough one, mine was aquafade originally but had to have the seatpost replaced so a repaint was the only option and putting back to original seemed right.

That said a pink to purple fade would have been cool to me.

see that makes sense, it was originally an aquafade so to be painted as an aquafade is the correct thing to do

Great to see the Yo being built up. Really is nice once together - it was my main retro rider for a bit. The paint gleams in the sun too and with its 1 1/8 head tube and v brake routing its a perfect canvas. Staying tuned.

purple would look really good on that green

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Components should be black or silver. It's the law!

That two tone green is stunning and doesn't need a selection of multi coloured anno parts to ruin it and make it look like it was assembled by Fisher Price. :p

Back