Early 2K Konas (2000/2001)

mamadirt

Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Always been a fan of the glow-in-the-dark Y2K decals and the similar chrome 2001 versions, so following on from the little Lava Dome project which never really got off the starting blocks (too many colour options to get my head around :facepalm: ) I plan to bring this little fella back from the dead . . .

p4pb10847688.jpg

Anyone had any luck fitting an A2Z disc brake adaptor to an older alloy Kona frame? Dropouts look pretty flat so fingers crossed.

I have had several 2001 Konas over the years . . .

Mama BMX . . .
p4pb10847686.jpg

Scab . . .
p4pb10847687.jpg

and the lovely Kilauea, imported from Germany, which was my race bike for a little while . . .
p4pb10847685.jpg

Any more out there?

It's arrived! The protective powers of cling film, eh? :LOL:

p4pb10883987.jpg

Looks to be pretty sound though. Gonna be a long-term project this one - sadly most of the parts from the Lava Dome project have been sold to fund a new XC bike so this will be a one-piece-at-a-time job. Looking forward to it :p

Bit of a slow one - spent most of the week retouching the decals and this arrived this morning (WTB Greaseguard :p ) . . .

p2pb10902198.jpg

Rather lovely but completely scuppered my plan to fit an old Hope C2 to the front :LOL: . We'll see . . .

Damn, I've managed to keep an unbuilt frame sitting around for how long??? :LOL:

Still have the little Blast and got no further than retouching the front end but today I'm bored and feel like a build. I have no spare 26" wheels but I do have a lovely new pair of 650bs (yes, they do fit but I reckon I'd have to go for pretty low profile tyres) and a pair of 24"ers with a singlespeed freewheel and a pair of pretty basic Suntour 26" forks. Hmmmmmmmm . . . any suggestions?

The BETD ones? I'll take a look, cheers! I was thinking of one of the A2Z or Tensile ones but something that bolts straight on would definitely be a better option.

Edit: Just checked and it looks like the holes are in a different place on the Kona :?

Just cleaned up the rear end - BB area is pretty scuffed up with chainsuck and marks where front mech was fitted but sound and should be pretty easy to retouch.

p4pb11485913.jpg

May look pretty cool with a contrasting colour rear end - we'll see . . .

Back