Big ring question.

AR-CoolC

Retrobike Rider
Hi All

I have a Deore 42/32/24 chainset on my modern Trek. I'd like to up the big ring size to give my on-road sections a bit more ooomph (might as well make the most of it seeing as we have too much of it round these parts)

I was under the impression that there is an unwritten rule saying no more than 12 teeth between rings on a chainset. But I'd like to put a 46 on meaning there would be a 14 teeth step up.

Would this cause any issue with front mech function? and if not, does anyone have a source for good offers on rings?

TIA

I've just re-read my last sentence and it does sound a little rude :LOL:

its 14 or 12 tooth difference depending on your front mech, also make sure the total capacity is within the Front Mech limits, keep in mind the rear mech will need to be long cage to wrap up the amount of chain to cope with all the possibilities, i.e Big F/Big R and Small F/Small R.

you could try 24/36/48 so you'd have 2 x 12 tooth steps, and you'd get more use out of the middle ring (not uphill of course!)

Dead Rats":2v57moa2 said:
you could try 24/36/48 so you'd have 2 x 12 tooth steps, and you'd get more use out of the middle ring (not uphill of course!)

That's what I'm thinking. How do I assess whether the front mech will be happy with this?

Also I'm a cheap-skate so does anyone have any rings for sale, or know of a deal?

Keep an eye on the rear mech as well.
Most long cages can only handle a 43 tooth difference (aka. 43T capacity). If the difference at the front is 24T, you only have 19 left at the back.

Back