Vitus 992 it begins - more french now

Re: Vitus 992 it begins

Well more parts bought, others in the pipeline. Looks like this will be a french build!

Given the diffcultly in finding mavic 440 SC brakes and levers I have settled on Modolo as they made them. I have bought a set of Modolo levers (the correct one from hungry) for £20 shame as I had a set but sold them thinking I would not use them again. Foolish idea that. I have found a set of molodo caliper on ebay which I am bidding on that are same as the MAvic 440 SC ones I would have prefered.

As for hubs. I have found a rear mavic 32H hub freewheel though and have 2x 32H GP4 rims on there way but a front hub eludes me. I don't really want to run a freewheel either so those Hope Ti glide 28H hubbed wheels I have bought of here might be used instead, well the hubs laced to some ambrosio Montreal silver 28H rims. Not as french as I would have liked but hey ho.

The chainset still eludes me as I would prefer a 175mm chainset for the frame but I can ride 170mm cranks without issue so I might have to settle for that. Got to get some auto sol on the frame as well.

So really I am there with parts apart from the chainset and BB. I have pretty much decided that I need a mavic chainset for this and I will fork out for a Royce Ti BB in the right length.

Pics due to tomorrow. There is progress. A Mavic 840 rear mech, Mavic 860 front mech and simplex D/T shifters are now fitted. The wheels I got have some lovely Hope Ti glide hubs. I do have a mavic 32H rear hubs but lack the front at present. So I will built up some tubular wheels with the Hope hubs using Ambrosio silver Montreal rims.The Hope hubs are for freewheels and I have a sachs freewheel to go with hub. At some point the mavic hub when I find a front one I will build them up on Mavic GP4 rims.

Weights of components.
Rear mech 227g
Front mech 100g
Shifter 70g I think
Seat post 240g
Hope rear hub 186g
Sach freewheel 399g

Well ideally I want the MR601 hubs but a cassette body is essential. I will happy use the Hope/ambrosio wheels I will build with a 8 speed freewheel but I really want to put a ten speed cassette on it so a cassette body is needed. Beside I have a rear 32H Mavic hub for freewheel hub. All I need is the front.

some progress. I have fitted the middleburn RS2 chainset I have with a Shimano Dura Ace 7400 53T ring and a stronglight 38T inner. The BB used is an SKF Ti axle 107mm which surprises me, I thought these chainsets required a longer BB. The RS2 chainset on my MTB needed a 122mm! I have also used ti crankbolts.

The wheels on there currently are Campagnolo Chorus 2006 hubs laced to H plus Son archetype rims with sapim laser spokes. The cassette is a Miche 11 speed so I will be friction shifting on 11 speed. I have decided though that I am will buy a pair of Mavic GP4's in 28H to lace to the Hope Ti Glide hubs I have. The Sachs 8 speed freewheel I have will be used with that. Oddly enough those wheels will be a fair bit lighter than the ones on there currently. I am still waiting for the Mavic 440SSC brakes to arrive and I have bought a Mavic starfish chainset but I am not sure if I will use it now. The stem is a cinelli A1 and the bars are 3ttt podium. Modolo brake levers complete the kit currently seen (these modolo levers are the same appart form the colour as the mavic 440 SSC levers).

I need to find a period seat I like bit otherwise I like it.

Re:

Looking good Malcolm! :cool:

I'm trying to get hold of some Mavic parts myself, no rush though.
Like you, I'm having trouble finding the chainset in 175mm :(
Having also just bought some 501 hubs, I'm guessing the Sachs - also being French - is the only freehub that has the right thread? :?
What gearing is that on the back ?

mike

Well I found a 177.5mm mavic chainset! Mavic hubs seem hard to find. They often are 126mm and this frame a 130mm rear end plus I do not want to be restricted to 7 speed. The hub I bought for a £10 turns out to be 126mm and in need of new bearings. Good thing it is was teener. I'll find a use for it one day.

The cassette I have at the back is 12-27T. the threading on mavic 501 hubs is normal freewheel threading as far as I know.

Back