853 rock lobster build first ride impressions

painter09

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
new pics now added page 2

some of you may remember this frame from a while back being sold by myself to another member then it came up for sale again so i thought why not give it a try and build it to suit, so having both v and disc brake options i decided to remove the v bosses and aim at the disc brakes side of things, its been a little more drawn out than i would have liked it have been but the frame will be going for powder coat next week and some of the parts i have sourced towards the build have started to appear via our postman, first up was to decide on wich fork to go for wanting to keep the build down on the weight a set of kinesis 29er carbon alu forks were found on here, being the 29er though its going to be a little hit and miss as to how the bike handles and if need be some similar 26ers will be sourced, ( update the full carbon pro xcr were found and chosen for the build over the kinesis ) sram was my main aim for the groupset and x9 shifters with an xo black box derry was found, wheels are mavic 317 sitting on hope 2 hubs and main drive is a very nice middleburn rs7 with isis splines,

finaly back from powder coat, but need some day light to get some proper pics as its not showing it at its best, new 26er black carbon forks were picked up from the bike jumble on sunday but unfortunately the direct brake mount means the hope are more than hopeless now as they are I,s fitting so new brakes are on order, need to find a nice black stem to hang the bars on and we are half way there ;) pedals were sourced from Taiwan for a very nice price and super fast delivery :D

Attachments

• rock lobster 002.JPG
    rock lobster 002.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DSCN0152.JPG
    DSCN0152.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN0153.JPG
    DSCN0153.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN0154.JPG
    DSCN0154.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN0155.JPG
    DSCN0155.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN0158.JPG
    DSCN0158.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 568
Re: 853 rock lobster build

Lovely collection of parts :)

Now I see where your Sram curiosity is going!! Looking forward to seeing your build progress and what colour/s are you planning for powder coat and anodising?

I'm in a similar state with my project build… bits off here, ebay and stw have been arriving over the last few weeks and it's nearly time for me to put them all together!

Enjoy!

SlackAlice":l1apmqfg said:
Lovely collection of parts :)

Now I see where your Sram curiosity is going!! Looking forward to seeing your build progress and what colour/s are you planning for powder coat and anodising?

I'm in a similar state with my project build… bits off here, ebay and stw have been arriving over the last few weeks and it's nearly time for me to put them all together!

Enjoy!
thanks
keep changing my mind on colour scheme but now thinking black frame with gold anodised cranks and brakes, thats till i get to the powder coater and he pulls out the colour chart :LOL:

makster":1stveiza said:
Checking in for this one :D
put your slippers on the wife keeps finding rooms to decorate :facepalm: so taking longer than expected, but i did get some nice schwalbe kojack tyres last week and all this black is now convincing me to go orange with the frame :cool:

finaly gone to powder coat :D
colour :?: something bright to compliment all the black parts :cool:

Cool. Looking forward to this. Green or orange I'm guessing

coomber":10mjz5ga said:
Cool. Looking forward to this. Green or orange I'm guessing
:shock: orange :cool: could have been yellow red or white or even pink ( im cool with pink :oops: )
but yep orange it is as ive seen the finished colour on another frame in the past, decals are the main issue at the moment, I want the reverse of normal with black back ground and orange letters, would also like the word rock changing for road so to read ( road lobster ) as the bike is staying in a road theme, just been quoted almost £40 :shock: for this when the same seller sells rock lobster decals for £8 may just stick with the original ones instead of trying to be different or stupid :facepalm: :LOL:
but my pedals are on order from Taiwan hopefully they are as good as imo they look.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJBMFHbKuL)MOBR912-r06Q~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJBMFHbKuL)MOBR912-r06Q~~60_12.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 639

Nice pedals. Would have gone for superstar in orange personally, but I am a big fan of them anyway.

£40 is a lot but appreciate it is a lot of work (maybe) to change them. £8 reflects that they probably sell x amount, not sure how many other Road Lobster decals they will sell!

coomber":9qc0p0fu said:
Nice pedals. Would have gone for superstar in orange personally, but I am a big fan of them anyway.

£40 is a lot but appreciate it is a lot of work (maybe) to change them. £8 reflects that they probably sell x amount, not sure how many other Road Lobster decals they will sell!
thanks they are nice, and cheap to. understand wot your saying about the decals as well and don't think they would sell more than one set, if all else fails then may go with them,

Back