853 rock lobster build first ride impressions

Re: 853 rock lobster build back new pics pg2

How you finding the avid brakes because the set i had were an constant source of problems!

Bennyboy95":3mbn8uk8 said:
How you finding the avid brakes because the set i had were an constant source of problems!
already found the rear needs bleeding which suprises me as these are from my lbs, got no pressure whatsoever :? but will be going back anyway to have the pipe shortend and guided through the frame guides, im assuming yours are on an xc, free ride bike and have problems with brake fade or the fluid boiling ? after a heavy ride ?

Had mine on a jump/trials nike which got nicked as it happens, but my main thing was inconsistency and needing bleeding every two weeks!

Got a set of shimano m988 xtrs which are fantastic.....! But expensive!

Edit: bike not nike, i don't needs brakes on trainers! :D

Bennyboy95":102tkd2f said:
Had mine on a jump/trials nike which got nicked as it happens, but my main thing was inconsistency and needing bleeding every two weeks!

Got a set of shimano m988 xtrs which are fantastic.....! But expensive!

Edit: bike not nike, i don't needs brakes on trainers! :D
:LOL: :LOL:
will see how they go for now after they have been bled. if all else fails I may change them, its the first time using avid so not quite sure what to expect,

so today in the wet freezing conditions us brits are used to I took the rl out for its first test ride along with my son on his orange ufo.
my first impression was on how smooth on the best tarmac and fast it felt with the kojak tyres, the gearing was spot on and the brakes felt fine and responsive to a light touch, the ride its self was to say a little bumpy in the smallest of pot holes due to the rigid forks, the bars felt to small and threw the steering all to cock with the leaning forward angle and the seat killed my ass but I guess comfort wasn't an option in 89-90 when flite made the saddle, all in all I hated it and its the kind of bike I don't think will grow on me, so now back to the shed for a rethink, carbon risers, fox or rock shox up front and maybe a cushion for my backside would be the first thing on the agenda :D

Attachments

• P2010003.JPG
    P2010003.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 220
  • P2010004.JPG
    P2010004.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 220
  • P2010002.JPG
    P2010002.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 220
  • P2010008.JPG
    P2010008.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 220
  • P2010012.JPG
    P2010012.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 220
  • P2010001.JPG
    P2010001.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 220
The History Man":2grr9kmo said:
Very reminiscent of Block and Quade Team Bike. Nice
thanks :D Block and Quade ? steel suppliers going off google ? if so cant say ive come across a team bike by them before, or am I a dog barking up the wrong tree on this one :?

The History Man":5qmbw8q3 said:
You should get sponsorship. I really do like it. Like a dogs bollox I know.
sponsorship ? im glad someone likes it but my back and bum hate it :LOL: might ride better once ive added the riser bars and a newer saddle, and if your comparing it to a dogs bollox then it must look real good :D and tells me ive finally built a worthy bike :cool: cheers

Looking good, just seen the pic of the old colour, was this the Rl frame for sale at sleepless in the saddle a few years back? If I had the cash I would have bought it but I found the bargain bucket first and stocked up on flite saddles!

Like the Orange ufo as well, never seen one before.

Back