Santa Cruz Chameleon Mk1 Build | Early 1998 | Lizard Green

Fam Allen

Retro Guru
Just getting started on a new build.

Aspired to own a Santa Cruz Chameleon back in '97/'98 when they were first released. Similar to my Zaskar at the time, they seemed to be the ultimate 'do everything' bike, but perhaps a little more exotic!

In my mind the lizard green colourway would have been the only way to go back then, so have been looking around for one for a few months now. With nothing coming up I've been watching a rather neglected and sorry looking 16" '98 black frame on FB Marketplace for a few months. Very reasonably priced, but with slightly suspect looking spray painted chain stays, it's been a dilemma, but I've finally bitten the bullet.

It's an early '98 and must have been one of the first few batches because it takes the 26.8mm seat post rather than the 27.2mm that the mid '98 onwards Chameleon's needed.

Here are some pics of what I'm starting with:

58-3 copy.jpg 86 copy.jpg 58-7 copy.jpg

Attachments

• 58 copy.jpg
    58 copy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 58-6 copy.jpg
    58-6 copy.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 58-5 copy.jpg
    58-5 copy.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 58-4 copy.jpg
    58-4 copy.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 58-2 copy.jpg
    58-2 copy.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 6
Nice, another green Mk.1 in the shire. Don't see them very much anymore. I need to give mine some love and get rid of the black bombers for Z1's and sort the stem out. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_162527319.jpg
    PXL_20230121_162527319.jpg
    849.1 KB · Views: 38
Nice, another green Mk.1 in the shire. Don't see them very much anymore. I need to give mine some love and get rid of the black bombers for Z1's and sort the stem out. I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Nice to see another green one! I was surprised how few were about in green. I always saw it as the goto colour way bitd. I have put aside a nice pair of ‘98 Z1s ready for this build … looking forward to putting it together!

Nice to see another green one! I was surprised how few were about in green. I always saw it as the goto colour way bitd. I have put aside a nice pair of ‘98 Z1s ready for this build … looking forward to putting it together!
I've never seen another green one in the flesh, but I agree it's a lovely colour. Interestingly I didn't choose my colour, the frame was given to me as a warranty replacement by Singletrack Cycles in Gloucester around '98 when I snapped my second club roost frame in a matter of weeks. I miss that shop.

Latest posts

Back