Santa Cruz Chameleon Mk1 Build | Early 1998 | Lizard Green

Looks cool 😎. My USA flag is on the front of the seat tube under the top tube.
Santa Cruz seemed to be a bit relaxed about decal positioning. 😂 I've also seen a fair few frames where the 'Chameleon' decal was positioned
towards the front end of the top tube as well as those where it features nearer the seat tube end. I guess it gives each one a bit of a unique feel.

Quick brain dump on components and intended set up:

I'm looking to use this predominantly for pump tracks with my little boy, so want a decently performing retro suspension fork on the front and was thinking I'd go single speed to keep it simple. Fork has to be a Z1, which is convenient because I picked a really nice set up a few months back that had only seen minimal use back in '98 and then been boxed ever since. Will need a service no doubt, but will be ideal for the Chameleon.

Visually I want it to have a true 90's feel and have an 'accent' colour to go nicely with the green of the frame and orange of the Z1s. Blue makes a lot of sense because it features in the decals of both frame and fork ... so blue it is.

So my remaining spec list is something like this:

X-Lite G-Force Bars in Blue
Azonic Shorty Stem in Silver
Magura HS33 Brakeset in Blue
Chris King NoThreadset in Blue
SunRingle Rhyno Lite Rims
Hope Ti-Glide Hubs in Blue (Possibly a threaded rear hub for a single speed freewheel)
White Industries Cranks (Ideally the US made version, but budget may dictate the later Sugino ones)
Early Hope QR Skewers in Blue
Early Hope QR Seat Clamp in Blue
X-Lite 26.8mm Seat Post silver with blue seat clamp or U.S.E. 25mm Seat Post in Blue
Late 90s Flite Saddle (black if seat post is blue or blue if seat post is silver)

Have a few of these bits already, but if anyone has anything they would be willing to let go I'd be very happy to take it off your hands for an agreeable price 😎

Gorgeous frame & the decals... ooh.

I have to wonder though, would Z1 Drop off lowers not suit better, being green? (might be too much green then though lol)

I have a set of Drop Offs dated '98 on the castings so would be "correct" in that sense. Think the Drop Off may be 140mm though yeah. Was just a thought given the colours of the rest of the bike, but I do agree the BAM would look fine (and more adjustability/blue ano preload caps). Bomber Orange struggles to look bad on anything TBH (Although I am currently bastardising a set of bent & worn BAM and a Drop off with great stanchions but cracked crown to make one good set & was thinking to maybe use the green lowers but BAM internals)

Anyway I'll shurrup derailing the thread now, but I do believe the Drop off are in-period.

Back