853 rock lobster build first ride impressions

Re: 853 rock lobster build back from powder coat

Running an IS caliper on PM forks - there are adaptors out there for everything ;)

Looking into getting some decals done for you - half that price at the very worst (hopefully much less) if you can provide the file and I can manage to swing it! Might not be for a week or three though, depends how many rooms you have to paint in the meantime I guess... :LOL:

Re: 853 rock lobster build

painter09":195xbsla said:
decals are the main issue at the moment, I want the reverse of normal with black back ground and orange letters, would also like the word rock changing for road so to read ( road lobster ) as the bike is staying in a road theme, just been quoted almost £40 :shock: for this when the same seller sells rock lobster decals for £8 may just stick with the original ones instead of trying to be different or stupid :facepalm: :LOL:
Nothing is forever, and in fact my impression is that a surprising number of people who lavish a lot of care (and cash) on a project end up selling it not long afterwards. Only to find that they don't get much for it because, as beautiful as it may be, the market doesn't share their enthusiasm for the re-design.

Besides, there is such a thing in nature as a rock lobster and there has been for millions of years, far longer than homo sapiens etc. But a road lobster wouldn't last five minutes, which perhaps explains why there is no such thing.

I would have thought that an orange RL 853 with authentic decals would not only look great but also retain as much resale value as a red one.

Re: 853 rock lobster build

Anthony":23p8ufc5 said:
painter09":23p8ufc5 said:
decals are the main issue at the moment, I want the reverse of normal with black back ground and orange letters, would also like the word rock changing for road so to read ( road lobster ) as the bike is staying in a road theme, just been quoted almost £40 :shock: for this when the same seller sells rock lobster decals for £8 may just stick with the original ones instead of trying to be different or stupid :facepalm: :LOL:
Nothing is forever, and in fact my impression is that a surprising number of people who lavish a lot of care (and cash) on a project end up selling it not long afterwards. Only to find that they don't get much for it because, as beautiful as it may be, the market doesn't share their enthusiasm for the re-design.

Besides, there is such a thing in nature as a rock lobster and there has been for millions of years, far longer than homo sapiens etc. But a road lobster wouldn't last five minutes, which perhaps explains why there is no such thing.

I would have thought that an orange RL 853 with authentic decals would not only look great but also retain as much resale value as a red one.
I hear what your saying and agree that my decal choice wont appeal to every one but then again maybe some of the parts used for the build wont either, ( each to their own ) but like the parts the decals could be swapped out if I ever did decide to sell and if the new owner decided they were not to his taste, lets face it its just a play on words that really isn't going to draw any ones attention away from the fact that its still an 853 rock lobster. im glad you like the colour though :D I was originaly thinking black to aim at the stealth look,

elPedro666":1hj6wt1s said:
Running an IS caliper on PM forks - there are adaptors out there for everything ;)

Looking into getting some decals done for you - half that price at the very worst (hopefully much less) if you can provide the file and I can manage to swing it! Might not be for a week or three though, depends how many rooms you have to paint in the meantime I guess... :LOL:
decided to go with different brakes any way to get the grams down a little :D
decided the hope may be over kill after all and a little on the heavy side for the build so its a go on the new brakes ;) as for the decals I wouldn't know were to start looking for the file and appreciate the offer but no rush as I may yet change my mind again :LOL: :LOL: be good to know though and handy if you could provide odd ball decals to suit ;)

And so the build as began,
as you can see the brakes were changed in favour of the elixir 3 more for the option of smaller discs and to keep the weight down a little, the brahma style bars have allways been the option on this build and imo look the part with the slick tyres, a few things now required to complete the build including having the rear brake pipe shortend and routed through the frame guides, a front mech is required along with chain and some cables, a new lighter stem and thats about it, having lifted the bike today im quite surprised at the actual weight of it an and can see it being a real mile muncher without much effort. any way a few more pics for those that like rock lobsters

I really do need to go back to my old camera :oops:

Attachments

• DSCN0212.JPG
    DSCN0212.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN0221.JPG
    DSCN0221.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN0222.JPG
    DSCN0222.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN0213.JPG