Brooks B17 - Anything I should know?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Following on from my touring bike thread, I am looking at getting a Brooks B17 as several articles and blogs I have read say it is THE saddle for touring.

Initially I just want to get a s/h one to try, as there are a few birthdays and Christmases between now and my planned departure.

I know there are standard and narrow versions, it is the standard I am going to look for, but is there anything else I should know before I commence my search?

I use a lot of Brooks saddles. I have 3 B17s. These days they seem to come in all flavours, its hard to keep up. The best by far is the standard B17, in black, honey if you like them to break in a little sooner. Forget all the titanium rail rubbish, if you want to save the weight don't wear a watch. The B17 is just wonderful, does everything it is asked and will last a lifetime if looked after. You can't go wrong.

Re:

Pigman: As I said, if I get on with one and they suit my....erm, sit bones, then a member of the family will get me a new one, so price is not the issue, it is all about comfort.

Spokesmann: Thanks, that's encouraging. They are surprisingly cheap on ebay, possibly something to do with the fact there are loads about.

Re:

I'm still using a B15 - similiar to a B17 - that my Wife's Dad bought new in 1951 ! Still looks good, still comfortable, and I've just bought a new B15 for my touring bike build.

Swear by 'em, anything less is a compromise, and as the man said compromise is the handmaiden of mediocrity.

Roadking.

Re:

Looks like I'm heading in the right direction then (pun intended).

It was reading a LEJOG blog that got me looking at Brooks saddles, the guy who wrote it said much the same thing.

I have joined the CTC forum.... lots of reading there. :shock:

Re:

Neil

Are you considering LEJOG ? Or just fancied an idle read of someone's long distant exploits

Re:

I don't wish to come across as a Brooks expert- I've only ever used one Brooks saddle, and it was a Professional rather than a B17, but I think I am right in saying that all Brooks saddles have a rail design which permits only a limited range of for/aft adjustment on the seat post, compared to a Unica Nitor or anything developed from it since.

So Brooks saddles tend to sit further forward on the seat post, which might be OK if you have somewhat normally proportioned femurs. If you have any tendency towards long thighs/short shanks, the combination of a Brooks saddle with a 73 parallel frame could find you either resigned to spending the rest of your cycling days sitting on rivets, or endlessly searching for a gimmick seatpost with enough 'layback' to enable you to get your 'sit bones' off those rivets and into the comfort zone in front of them. I don't think it's accidental that pre-'70s, when a Brooks was presumably the default option, frames had relaxed seat tube angles, especially in the larger sizes. I've never commissioned a made to measure frameset, so I've no idea whether a diligent framebuilder would ask whether I habitually ride a Brooks saddle, and give me three degrees less seat tube angle if I answered in the affirmative?

This may or may not be an issue for you..

Re: Re:

torqueless":z5s46923 said:
I don't wish to come across as a Brooks expert.

You don't so no worries. As the OP states, he's wanting to source a saddle for a touring bicycle; as these types usually have relaxed angles there shouldn't be an issue - on a racing bike maybe.

Plus a good framebuilder would ask his customer about saddle choice as it's such a personal detail.

Roadking.

Another vote for a B17 for touring . I have ridden 1,000s of miles on one . Never had a problem . Buy a cover for it as they do not take kindly to getting really wet .
As said break it in before a tour .

Back