Trek 1400 - Cracked Frame from Trek 2300 Pro

Patch_ing

Retro Newbie
Hello All, new to the bike world.

I have always been a rider and tourer. Changing parts and upgrading has always been daunting. I would like to change the shimano 600 (From the Trek 2300) to a Trek 1400 Frame. I would like to know if there is anything I should look out for. Here is the story,

My main bike has always been a Trek 2300 Pro Carbon Composite Bike. Unfortunately, I am noticing a number of cracks at joints of the frame. Instead of getting a new frame, I am planning to swap the Shimano 600 components and wheel sets to this old Trek 1400 Frame that I have in storage.

In addition to the swap, I am also planning to change the cassette to a more modern application. At the moment, it is a 14-24. I was thinking of 11-32 or even 11-42.

Do you experts see any problems with this? Should I be concerned? It seems to be a pretty straightforward swap to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

If you want to go with such a large cassette you will need a new mech. And it will probably have more sprockets than the 600 cassette, so you'll need new shifters too. Which might mean you need a new front mech...
Are you sure they're cracks, or is it just the paint or clear coat?

If you want to go with such a large cassette you will need a new mech. And it will probably have more sprockets than the 600 cassette, so you'll need new shifters too. Which might mean you need a new front mech...
Are you sure they're cracks, or is it just the paint or clear coat?
I would prefer to keep the shimano 600 shifters (front and rear). What is the max ratio you reckon?

Re the cracks, I am not an expert, but I can see one big one that is about .5 mm deep, beyond the clear coat. And others are just hairline cracks.

Latest posts

Back