Brooks B17 - Anything I should know?

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":bongpj3j said:
Neil

Are you considering LEJOG ? Or just fancied an idle read of someone's long distant exploits

No Spud, I was looking for routes up the East side of Scotland to John O'Groats and LEJOG routes figure large. It seem's the A9 up to Wick is well worth avoiding on a bike, which is a shame, as it hugs the coast that is my intended route.

Interesting thoughts torqueless, I will consider the Brooks rails when talking frames.

Re:

I have several Brooks saddles. B17 is the standard saddle for touring, might be handy to get some good technical advice about best fit. Comments about rails worth taking account of. Bag loops useful. My partner swears by her B17. My preferred Brooks, though, are Swifts: slightly less leather on the sides and found these broke in either easier or felt comfortable straight from the box. I’m aware that Brooks changed some of the leather thicknesses over the years so not impossible that this was the explanation for things feeling easier sooner. I do remember my first B17 from 1979 being a little firm for a while and I still have it although the bike unridden these days.

Spa Cycles make very good leather saddles and I have 2 of them (I live in York so an easy trip over to Harrogate). The price is very good. I found both of them harder than the Swifts at first and even now the one I use most still feels firm. They wear well but the leather has a glossier finish, not such a fan of this; the finish underneath is very good for resisting the wet. Similar colours to Brooks and their matching bar tape also good.

I’ve used both for long distance touring. However, when I sit on a Brooks Swift my backside knows it is safely home again.

In terms of going north from Inverness my favourite route is to go up and over from Alness to Bonar Bridge, on to Lairg and then up to Bettyhill (you pass the Crask Inn – something of a legend if you like eccentric, unless sold recently, still for sale earlier this year). Beautiful road from Lairg, usually very quiet, flowing and sweeping, about as good as it gets.

Anything by Wrights is not to be sniffed at, a good W3N is every bit as good as a B17...

And don't forget the Proofide. Give the new saddle a good slathering of it, especially the underside which is more absorbent, and put it in the airing cupboard to get the Proofide well soaked in. This will help to soften it and aid 'breaking in'. It will also polish up nicely without the use of any other medium.

I had a Brooks Professional BITD for a few years (which I 'broke in' with Proofide and a large hammer! The 'express' method.) but went onto the original Unica Nitor when they first came out and have used 'plastic' saddles ever since. Mind you, I've never been a tourist so I suppose the saddle requirements may well be slightly different to racing. Saying that, I did use the narrow 'Track' version of the Unica and rode everything from track sprints to 12 hour time trials on it!

Back