Wheel building requirement.

Corblimeyguv

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Good afternoon all :)

I'm looking to get 2 wheels built. I've asked at my LBS and he's steered me (pardon the pun) towards buying second-hand wheels from this site. This I have done, but...
I have a rear wheel that was built by a really good friend of mine who's sadly no longer with us. 3 spokes have started to pull through the Mavic rim and it needs sorting. Plus I've bought an STX RC rear hub from a top geezer on here that needs building to go with a front wheel that I already have.
I've tried emailing a company in Wales but have had no reply as yet.
Can anyone recommend a reliable and competent person ?

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated :)

While wheel-building is a tedious and time-consuming process, have you ever considered building them yourself, at all by chance?

Re:

Yes, I have for a long time.
I've looked in to buying a jig etc but the outlay is a lot when all I want is 2 wheels built. If I was doing it more frequently then I could justify it, but for 2 wheels?

I can't.

I've bought several wheelsets from this forum over the last few weeks which will fulfil my wheel requirements for quite a while, I just want these 2 done and i'll be sorted ;-)

Re:

You don't need a jig, your bike frame will suffice. I use my turbo trainer to hold my wheels whilst I true them. I built a DIY dishing tool after looking at a video on YouTube. I taught myself using the guide on the Sheldon Brown web site, good luck

Re: Re:

curzons246":274j8kyx said:
You don't need a jig, your bike frame will suffice. I use my turbo trainer to hold my wheels whilst I true them. I built a DIY dishing tool after looking at a video on YouTube. I taught myself using the guide on the Sheldon Brown web site, good luck

I believe Seths bike hacks has a video of him building and truing a wheel with no tools, interesting challenge. I have been meaning to try it sometime, even thought about making building a jig. You can definitely get good results truing on your bike, the only thing I don't think is smart is when people do it with the tyres on.

Re:

Whereabouts in God's country are you? I'm on the north coast, A55/St Asaph area - I'll build 'em up for ya. Send me a PM.

BTW there are plenty of budget jigs on e-bay and you could always try a “wanted” shout on here. And think on this, it’s not just for building 2 sets, I’ve used mine for re-truing from general use and snapped spokes. A trued up wheel makes for much better braking.

I've always managed to build good wheels just using the bike and a spoke key. Turn the wheel round a few times to check the dishing, and use the barrel adjuster on the brake lever to wind the pads in to hear when the rim touches the pad for the final stage of truing them up.

Re:

Thanks for all the replies :)

I've been truing up wheels for years but never actually built one.
It's something that's interested me ever since watching my mate building them in the 90's.

I'm going to use an old hub and have a go. Spokes are around £30 for 144 with nipples online and i'll get some rims too. Gotta learn sometime :LOL:

Latest posts

Back