Spinergy carbon wheels

zonoskar

Retro Guru
So I picked up a Koga Miyata bike yesterday. It had the Spinergy spoked wheels I liked when I was young. When I got home I noticed the front and rear had different decals. Was this something that was used in the old days, or did the bike come with 2 different versions of the wheel? The front wheel has a plastic spacer between the 2 sides of the spoke, which the rear wheel lacks. Also, the rim is for tubular tires. I saw this when I bought the bike and was able to haggle the price a bit, but only found Tufo tires that will fit. Dugast and other brands only make 28" tubular tires. Apart from the rims, the wheels seem to be in great condition. I don't see cracks or defects, other than some scuffing.

BITD I had Spengle 3 spoke carbon wheels. They had a rim service where they could replace worn rims, I don't suppose Spinergy still has this? The company still exists, I contacted them, but they have not responded yet.

This is the front wheel:
p5pb26069540.jpg

p5pb26069539.jpg

p5pb26069537.jpg

This is the rear wheel:
p5pb26069538.jpg

p5pb26069536.jpg

p5pb26069535.jpg

p5pb26069534.jpg

This was the bike they were on
p5pb26069541.jpg

I don't think I'll be keeping the bike, it looks cheap and I don't have any brand loyalty for Koga Miyata. I paid 100 euro for the bike, so I think I got a good deal. What do you think?

I think I'm going to use the fork in my Rocky Mountain Cirrus build to replace the AMP fork. The wheels go onto my Rocky Mountain Blizzard 96 build.

Last edited:
Yes I know they can be unsafe. These seem in good condition, I couldn't find any cracks. They will be ridden once or twice a year.

The Spinergies that have survived are the good pairs. I think there QC wasn't the best and "Bad Batches" occured

Or, one wheel failed due to a crash? A buddy of mine had these wheels BITD, his bike fell off his bike rack while driving his car and both wheels shattered on impact with the road. There is not a wealth of information on these wheels in general.

Back